Slippery

By Estranged Fiance - 26/12/2016 05:49 - United States

Today, my fiancé got impatient and passed a lady doing 15 mph under the speed limit. The lady was driving slowly in case the black ice in the other lane was in both. We spun out and drove right into a guard rail. I'd just filled the tank, so now I'm down $40 and need to pay for a rental too. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 802
You deserved it 3 285

Same thing different taste

Top comments

TheyCallMeDamien 17

You don't know how black ice works, do you? And the fact they hit a guard rail means they may be been on a bridge, bridges freeze faster than the roadway. Protip: if it's below freezing and has been wet and cold anytime in the past week, there can be black ice.

Comments

I'm sorry but your girlfriend doesn't sound very sensible, in the dead of winter, usually people drive slowly for a reason. At least it sounds like you're both ok.

Unless it was currently raining and below freezing point or snowing no reason to believe the roads shouldnt be cleared off on a highway.

It snowed the day before Christmas eve. The highway wasn't cleared until after Christmas day. Lot of ice on the road, visible too. Nice days for eve and day of, so really doesn't matter.

You don't know how black ice works, do you? And the fact they hit a guard rail means they may be been on a bridge, bridges freeze faster than the roadway. Protip: if it's below freezing and has been wet and cold anytime in the past week, there can be black ice.

Where I live, most major road closures aren't due to snow (unless it just dumps for days on end), but rather people like your fiancee who doesn't realize that, maybe, people are doing 40 in a 75 for a reason, spin out, and cause other cars to slam on their breaks and spin out, and basically make the roads more dangerous for everyone. If you don't know how to drive in snow, protip: be cautious. That said, glad that it sounds like you guys are alright.

bloodyfreak_fml 4

Sounds like it's time for a new fiancé in addition to a new car.

Why is it everyone's suggestion to break up on here any time theirs a small issue

Wow. I hope I never make one wrong decision, wreck the car and suddenly find myself in a divorce. If the "love" in a relationship is THAT conditional, I suggest not making relationship commitments.

species4872 19

See, some people stay single for a reason.

A lot of people DO resort to breaking up quickly. However, this person put OP's life in danger to get where they were going a little faster. If they are that impatient in safety-critical situations, imagine the rest of the time. It'd be one thing if it were not an at-fault accident, or the mistake was difficult to foresee. This, however, was life-endangering, gross negligence. I wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life with someone who values getting there faster more than my safety when the two conflict. At the very least, I'd be demanding that the reckless fiancé figure out a plan to pay for all of my costs, including fuel, tow, repairs, medical, what have you, before I go forward. Carrying that sort of weight into a marriage is poison.

Glad everyone was ok, but your fiancé either should brush up on how to drive in harsh weather conditions, or just not drive in them. The posted speed limit is meant to be "under the ideal conditions." Meaning, you go that speed when it's a clear, normal day. If the conditions are bad, you should be adjusting and reducing your speed. The woman was smart and completely justified by going 15 under. Especially in winter, since you often don't know if there's black ice because it blends in with the road. Yours and other people's lives shouldn't be something you want to risk just for travelling a little faster.

I tend to count the blessings. I say you are both safe (it could've been a lot worse) and a lesson has been learnt. Happy New Year to all.

lee47_fml 6

YOU need to pay for rental??? WTF Fiance needs to cough up the rental fee. Maybe then fiance will use brain instead of lead foot. And pay for repairs. You don't drive a car that you aren't willing to replace what stupidity broke.

That's why you buy insurance at the rental place, dumbass.

It's pretty clear the rental was to replace the now-destroyed primary car. Maybe learn to read before calling people dumbasses.

The gas part, is what we call a "No Return" in investment.

never pass someone when they are slowing down and never let your emotions take the wheel

sgdigaetano 3

If he's that impatient are you sure you want to marry this guy? Life is going to throw a lot of 'stuff' your way. Are you want to spend it with someone who reacts that way?

OP is a male, the driver in this case was his fiancé

Except "fiancé" is the term for a man and "fiancée" (with two e's) is the term for a woman. It's possible OP doesn't know this and made a typo, but going by OP's own choice of words, assuming the fiancé is a man is a perfectly logical conclusion.