Sharing is caring

By goin4broke - 07/08/2009 15:23 - United States

Today, my parents came to the restaurant I work at as a waiter. After, I picked up the check to realize they had left me a $500 tip! We split the tips among the employees so I only got $50 back but I was still psyched. When I got home they asked me if I had noticed that they used my credit card. FML
I agree, your life sucks 64 919
You deserved it 6 949

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I hope you told them that you had to split the tips. What a waste. they thought they were being clever and wasted all your tip money. Heh. FYL indeed.

Comments

That seems a little extreme. I mean, if they refused to give him the money back or something, I'd say go for it. Actually, they bought the meal with his money too. His parents are complete assholes. He should definitely report them. That's some serious bullshit.

zrhcrx 0

If he was going to do that he would need to buy a bunch of expensive shit in a short period of time in a bunch of different areas so it would look like identity theft. That ship has sailed tho.

no, itd identity theft if you didn't approve the use of the card.

Maybe you work in a crap restaurant, but if that was me, I'd just tell management that I needed that other $450 back because the tip had only been a joke. If I explained what happened, I'd easily be able to get that money back from my staff. FYL for working with crappy employees if you're out that $450...

chocolateteacup 25

The employees have nothing to do with it mate!

Goosie 0

you only got 50 back? how many people work on a shift? and did no one else make tips? this doesn't sound realistic to me. i call BS

DoomJeff91 2

Of the 500, he only got 50.

you split the tips evenly idiot. and he means that out of the $500 tip, he ended up with $50 which is actually REALLY good. and if the tip was $500 and you divide it evenly, HMM, LETS USE BASIC GR.2 MATH. which, incase you don't know (which im pretty sure you don't since you haven't figured it out yet, dumbass) is 10. because 10 times 50 equals... 500! yay for us! we know basic math! ps. for those of you who are oblivious and really SLOW, intense sarcasm was used.

ghostgirll 0

whoperlargefries, you're gonna die of a heart attack. you should really take some time to relax and not get all riled up about some idiot online.

#43 not all restaurants have a policy that splits tips evenly. That's just stupid considering that it rewards the lazy ass servers that don't do anything to warrant a tip. All the restaurants I know of split out a percentage of each server's tip total to the busboys, cooks, hosts, and bartenders; not each server as well. Either the OP works at a restaurant with a dumb ass tip pooling policy, or he's an idiot for believing that they're supposed to split tips evenly and his coworkers are crooks.

Goosie 0

First of all, don't talk down to me. You don't know me and you know nothing about me. I am a server and have been for 9 years as well as working in a bank. I know basic math, asshole. If you didn't fully read my post I did ask how many people worked on the shift. What I misunderstood was that he walked away with $50 from that particular tip and not for the entire night. So you can go **** yourself with your 'superior' attitude. Second, speaking of basic math skills maybe you should employ some basic grammar skills. Third, if you are getting so riled up about something that HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU, then you should go out and get a ******* life. If this is the most important issue for you today that you invest so much emotion and energy into it then I feel sorry for you. On a side note, many restaurants do not use the tip sharing method. I am aware that some do and I understand what it is. However, I do not think this is a fair practice, as someone stated before, since there are always 'those' servers who slack off or just generally suck; every restaurant has them. As a server, I tip out my bartenders, busboys, kitchen, and food runner a percentage of my sales every shift I work. Oh, and I still call BS on this post.

Maybe you left your credit card in an unsafe place and your parents thought they'd teach you a little lesson about identity theft? A huge assumption, but possible. That still sucks though.

What? You must work in a shady place. That's likely an unfair tip sharing practice and the massive tip size compared to what is likely a small amount of actual food purchased should raise a huge number of red flags to both your company accountant AND the credit card company. Even if this wasn't fraud it would look like it enough to alert someone so this wouldn't go through.

you kinda deserve it for not checking the name on the card and for thinking they'd tip that much but still. don't leave your card in the open and get the money back from them or dispute it.... it's unlikely they'd sign your name how you sign it.

ConnorMichelle 0

yeah but, she shouldn't have to do that, because it would have been like a gift from her parents.

No kidding. I hope you look at credit cards a bit more carefully in the future. You're supposed to verify the signature on the back. That's why so many people write "See ID" on the back on their credit card, to prevent it's usage if it's stolen. I'm suprised how often people don't even bother to look.

Probably because "Verify ID" as a method of "signing" your card is prohibited by each of the major card's cardholder agreements. You are told to /sign/ your card. That's part of the cardholder agreement you signed. Whether you think your method is better, or not, doesn't matter. Oh, and if a merchant refuses to take a credit card transaction /without/ ID, you as a consumer can report them to your cardholder. Either a merchant requires ID for /all/ transactions (including cash), or none. Enough complaints can lead to their card acceptance ability being taken away. Why? Because the bank assumes (and probably correctly) that your average drone isn't going to be an expert at handwriting recognition, nor at ID checking. The bank /does/ have people who can analyze handwriting, so if push comes to shove, you'll get that fraudulent transaction waived. I'd rather deal with my bank than someone at an establishment who could be doing anything up to and including running my card through a duplicator device (and now they've got my Driver's License number, yay!) Parent, YDI for getting on the internet and spouting an urban myth. "Tell people to write "VERIFY ID" on their card, and then unless they do, you can always claim a charge as fraud." Whatever.

It is not prohibited. You sign the back of your credit card to validate the contract. Their is nothing that prohibits you to write "See ID" next to your signature. The merchant should verify the signature regardless.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
pipsqueak2099 0

I don't see how this is a YDI. To me it seems like his parents were trying to be smart by making him think he made $500 when really it was his own money. F his life for having retarded parents.