Cough it up

By kaitlyn is here - 27/04/2021 05:01

Today, my parents took me out to eat. When the bill came, they stared at me for a while before asking, “Aren’t you gonna pay?” They've never made me pay before, there was no indication that I’d have to pay this time, and I’d left my wallet at home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 226
You deserved it 251

Same thing different taste

Top comments

"my parents took me out to eat". If parents didn't want to pay they shouldn't have taken OP or should have told OP beforehand. Wether OP has a paying job or not is irrelevant in this case.

"Nope". And then you walked out and stiffed them, right?

Comments

"Nope". And then you walked out and stiffed them, right?

If you're a grown adult with a paying job, I think it's reasonable that you take your turn and not assume they should still be paying for you every time. Repay the favour once in a while

"my parents took me out to eat". If parents didn't want to pay they shouldn't have taken OP or should have told OP beforehand. Wether OP has a paying job or not is irrelevant in this case.

I agree with you. I wonder how it was handled cause I would have called an uber and left

Wadlaen 23

I was thinking exactly what sarsuela said!

If they didn't imply they wanted OP to pay, why the hell would they have brought their wallet. They took OP out to eat not the other way around.

Wadlaen 23

Well, if they took you out to eat, it think it's really rude of them to expect you to pay, wich I would have told them.

They should have told you beforehand. I hope you refused.

Vesi 29

Two things here: 1: NEVER leave your wallet at home. IDs and a way to get home if you ever get stranded are necessities. 2: From now on, ask the waiter at the very beginning for your own check. Sorry your parents sound like jerks.

Yummi_913 18

Don't let them make a habit of expecting you to pay for THEIR things. You don't owe them for raising you. They were legally obligated to after they made you. It's fine for them to expect you to pay YOUR share for YOUR things, but you don't have a monetary obligation to them. I'm saying this because I can't tell you how many toxic family dynamics I've seen where the parents manipulate their children into bankrolling them, which in turn makes it incredibly difficult for the child/young adult to become independent and move on with life. If this is not your situation then I guess before you guys go out just always make sure they know you can pay for yourself but not them. Unless you want to spoil them on a special occasion of course.