Roommates from hell

By why me? - 11/03/2014 07:21 - United States - Huntington Park

Today, I came home from a long day from work, only to find a strange woman in my apartment. She explained that my roommate told her it was OK to spend a few days here. I guess he forgot that the room was mine. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 727
You deserved it 3 358

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You don't have to tolerate that shit, just talk to your roommate about.

Tell your roomate that decisions that involve your place shouldn't be made without you. Even if this person staying there is nice and all, a little respect goes a long way.

Comments

Goblin182 26

(Bogart voice over) This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Goblin182 26

Really, you're thumbing down Bogart? WOW, tough crowd.

JMichael 25

Don't you love when people don't consult you about something first to make sure you're ok with it? I know I sure do!

Unfortunately the notion "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission!" is very common nowadays. I had a flatmate once who not only allowed a friend to live and sleep in my room while I was on vacation and turn it into a dumping ground, they also deemed it absolutely okay to wear my clothes, to use use and damage my bike without even the slightest intention of fixing it and to deplete and then throw away an oversized lighter on my desk, which was a last gift from a friend who passed away. (And which even was refillable, so no need to throw it away.) And he was honestly surprised why I went into rage mode.

Kuro_Kamen 12

Sorry to hear that 48, hope that they didn't break the lock either.

What does rent have to do with what the fml is talking about?

Just contact your roommate and try to find another spot for the person. If the person won't leave contact your landlord.

Depending on state, once you let someone in with a bag of belongings you have to go through the eviction process, even if they aren't on the lease. I no make my guests leave their bags outside. ;)

While there are such things as squatters' rights, in most states it requires more than just bringing in a bag. In California at least, in order for squatters' rights to go into effect, they person needs to have been living on the property for at least 14 days and contributed to the maintenance and upkeep of the property. Possibly other stuff as well, but those are the parts I remember right now.

In PA, all it takes for squatters rights to kick In is for someone to come over and stay the night. They don't have to be on the lease or anything. Just stay one night and you have to be formally evicted. And since the roommate let this person come in, the cops can't do anything because each tenant has the right to have whatever company they chose over, whether the other tenants want them there or not.

Sorry if I was unclear-- I was referring to squatters gaining tenant rights-- not property rights. And a simple Google search revealed that I was indeed wrong. It is 30 days in California, not 14. My dad works in property management and this issue has come up surprisingly often :)

It's funny because my dad just had to evict a squatter last month-- it was an illegal sublet but through squatter rights the person got tenant rights, so I remembered reading out the laws recently. It's fairly easy to evict squatters-- it just takes a month or two and costs legal fees, not to mention usually a loss of rent-- which sucks when the owner of the property has mortgage payments to make. My dad has a clause built into his leases limiting house guests to 14 consecutive days.

So you live alone...the real question is how did she get in?

No, she doesn't live alone, but her roommate put the guest in OP's room, to my understanding.

He* And he does not live alone. He has a roommate.

NiceGuysDoWin 21

#20, do you even read these FML's? It seems as if every time I see a comment from you, you are about three steps behind the 8ball in understanding WTF is going on.

Lol whats up with this romance comedy setting

Sounds like a **** scene for a three-some

conman531 23

It's not the girl's fault, so go easy on her. Your roommate needs to have a chat with you though

your roommates a dick and you should see about getting a new one asap if theyre willing to rent your room out from under you then who knows what else theyll do or stick around and become part of a romcom and/or cheesy **** flick