Red flags all over the place

By DumpedHisAss - 14/10/2009 15:19 - United States

Today, I got a phone call from my boyfriend, who screamed at me for being a f-ing liar and never taking time for him. He'd called my work and knew I wasn't there as I said I'd be. He was right - I was lying. I'd been driving for the past 10 hours to his family's beach house to surprise him. FML
I agree, your life sucks 38 278
You deserved it 3 775

Same thing different taste

Top comments

People don't seem to understand that there's good lying and bad lying. Good lying is normally done so people can prepare surprises for others. Bad lying is things like covering up that they cheated on their lover with someone they met randomly.

Comments

go there and say "I drove all the way for this," and then kick him in the balls

summerhottie16 0
grog_fml 3

I'm the OP. Didn't comment sooner because I didn't know one could comment. Yes, I know I lied. Said that in the original. I believe my intentions were good, but still a lie. I was living in NJ at the time, driving to southern North Carolina - it's about 10 hours. We dated for 9 years - I was always welcome at the beach house. I told him that I was intending to surprise him, and he felt like an ass. But I did apologize for lying. We broke up for many reasons, but his always checking up on me/calling me at work/etc were the main ones.

VouDoo 0

@ OP So did you two talk about this as being a known issue (the always checking up/calling at work/etc.)? Maybe he calls to make sure you're doing okay? Yes I'm sure everyone wants their independence but I think there can be a happy medium where both people are happy. But I do say..communication is key in a relationship.

A professional can't have her boyfriend calling her at work several times each day. It looks bad. He claimed that he was making certain I was okay or just liked to hear my voice, but did I really need to be called (without exaggeration) 8 or more times in a 24hr period? This went on for YEARS. At some point, I just can't take that controlling behavior any more. And yes, we talked about it several times. We even talked about it with a therapist. He just never stopped.

The TX beaches are only 8hrs. I guess geography isn't your subject.

tbh, you should've just told him he shouldnt of jumped to conclusions & that you just wanted to surprise him by driving 10 hours and everything wouldve been okay. & it's not really bad lying about that. it wouldnt have been as romantic if it wasn't a surprise.. & don't worry, it's normal to freak out. he was probably just worrying. wouldn't you worry if you thought your boyfriend lied to you?

Well, honesty is the best policy... But sorry OP, maybe no surprises next time?