Passing

By butchapparently - 10/08/2015 15:35

Today, I got a text from the guy I've been in love with for 3 years, saying, "So um, I've been wondering. Did you used to be a man?" FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 730
You deserved it 2 224

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well he might have spent his whole life wondering

"Well obviously you've always been a dick" I'm sorry OP. You're beautiful inside and out.

Comments

Reply: hmmm I was wondering if you used to be a woman

HOW is this guy the bad guy? With everyone freaking out about transgender crap and everything you'd think you guys would find his question justified. Maybe he doesn't want to date someone with a dick?

Because that's a) a really personal question to ask and b) when asking super personal questions, it's generally polite to ask in person. Not through a supremely blunt text message.

I agree. Personally, I think if that person is comfortable with you it is okay to ask such a thing, but face-to-face, and in a more polite manner. He could have gone about it a million better ways.

TallMist 32

Um... Yeaaahhh.... you're assuming all transgender women have dicks... That's not true. Not even by a long shot.

2nd 20

But when you're dating someone questions like that aren't really that weird?

I would assume they are not dating. If so, op would probably refer to him as their boyfriend.

I think you're in love with the wrong person...

Say "I've been wondering the same thing about you!"

You dumbass if shes in love with a guy then im 100% sure he was born a guy

#29 that doesnt even make sense. it says shes been in love with him for 3 years or something i think. these two people are obviously not 3 years old so she wouldnt know. and i doubt shes a crazy stalker?

You should've said more of a man than you'll ever be. What an asshole

CoffeeChickBlows 13
tarlax 11

Lol. 19 must be a tumblr user. Hey 19, you said "that MAN". How do you know the person OP was texting identifies as a man, huh? /sarcasm

How? He was only asking something. Yes, the way he asked it was blunt and impolite, and overall a bad way to ask something personal like that. But that doesn't mean he's transphobic.

If you ever think that someone is transgender, whether you are right or wrong, you never ever ask them "did you use to be a man/woman?". It is one of the biggest slaps in the face other than being purposely misgendered. Take it from an ACTUAL transperson.

#32 Well, let me reply to you then since I'm "an ACTUAL transperson" myself. Yes, it feels like a slap in the face when someone asks that, that still doesn't make someone transphobic. Just misinformed and/or blunt/impolite, like I said earlier.

juturnaamo 29

Maybe he's interested but he's heard something elsewhere. If he knows OP is interested, whether she has a uterus could be important information.

Not to sound dumb but how would you go about getting that information about somebody?

#27 i use tumblr but that doesnt mean i think this is transphobic -_- you obviously havent been on tumblr before to know that not every post has to do with current events

You aren't very bright 27. If the person OP was infatuated with didn't identify as male, he wouldn't have asked the question he did because he would have known it would be hurtful either way. Simple logic to determine that the person in question identifies with their assigned gender if they ask a question that is as invalidating as the one he did. One would presume you have a brain, so maybe you should use it for more than taking up the space in your skull. It might stop you from making an ass out of yourself.

thats bullshit wtf is the slap in the face? your trans, you know its not exactly natural, so just embrace that shit and dont get your panties knotted when someone is curious or even confused about your appearance.

ulissey_fml 22

This guy has a problem. Oh, and he needs lessons in grammar. I am not a native speaker, but aren't you supposed to write "did you USE to be ? "

A more appropriate way of asking would be "Are you transgender?" or even "Were you assigned male at birth?"

There isn't an "appropriate" way to ask that. It is rude and callous no matter how it is phrased. It not only is a rude to ask about what genitals a person has or has had, the question both implies that people of a gender "have to" look a certain way, but if the person WERE MtF, he would be saying that he doesn't "read" her as a female. He would also be invalidating her gender identity by saying that she 'used to be' a man, when she would have been female even before transitioning. Unless she was genderfluid and had times in a "male" gender state. Even putting all of that aside, it is ridiculous to stop being attracted to a person of the gender(s) you are interested in because they might have different genitals than you might expect- they would be the same person, just with a different set of equipment than you thought they had.

I'm sorry OP but how could you have been in love with this guy?! That's really disrespectful of him to ask that kind of question, especially out of the blue!