Oh, hi!

By Embarrassed - 07/08/2012 07:48 - Australia - Adelaide

Today, I went to visit a friend I hadn't seen in ages who lives alone out in the country. I arrived and found the front door unlocked but no one was home. I went in anyway and helped myself to some food. Then a family I had never seen before came in, and I realized it wasn't my friend's house. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 789
You deserved it 35 409

Same thing different taste

Top comments

ImmaB3AST 7

Well, that's why you don't go into a house you aren't sure about. Then eat their food right away? That's just disrespectful. You deserve it.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I would go in the house, I wouldn't eat the food though. My friend's parents always tell me I don't have to knock.

Hahaha greatest confrontation scene.. OP: heey- wait. Who the hell are you? Home owner(s): The ****.. Who the hell are YOU??

"...and why are you eating our porridge?! Gtfo Goldilocks!"

13- that's fine, my friends parents' tell me that, too. But where the OP hadn't seen this particular friend in ages, it seems that they're obviously not particularly close. Therefore, OP shouldn't have walked in, and DEFINITELY should not have helped themselves to food.

Zoh_Aubrey 8

...and that's how people get shot, OP.

29- doesn't mean they're not close, it means they haven't seen each other in ages. I have friends I haven't seen in ages that I'm very close to, it's just not practical for us to visit each other because of the distance.

It's also in the country. Even further than that it is in Australia. It could be a lot different there than in the city or suburbs where we lock everything and trust nobody.

Sounds a lot like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

1- Clearly you're not Australian. Yes we do.

@62: So this normal behaviour in (rural) Australia? Provided you don't do it to some stranger?

shadexilmaendu 4

It really depends on their relationship with said friend. I know people who will get offended when I ask for things and insist this I help myself. Still, that had to be a hard one to explain to the family that walked in...

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I would at my buddies house. But I'm 100% sure of where he lives and I've know him for nearly 20 years now

sighawkward 6

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

I imagine this family to be Mexican... No racism intended.

It could have been one of OP's best friends and they could have been really close still despite not seeing each other for a long time. Especially if OP's friend was expecting OP then I don't see how it's strange for OP to walk in and help his or her self .. wouldn't you let your friend do that if they were coming over??

ImmaB3AST 7

Well, that's why you don't go into a house you aren't sure about. Then eat their food right away? That's just disrespectful. You deserve it.

You shouldn't even do that if they are your best friends and you are sure. I wouldn't want my friends coming in and if I wasn't there just eating my food. YDI OP. You just don't do that.

ArielTheMermaid 17

That's embarrassing. o.O although you shouldn't go into a house if no one is home. But I feel bad for you anyway, OP

51: i'm with you. i've been best friends with mine for about 15 years now, and if visited when he wasn't home, i ALWAYS asked his mom if it was alright if i had a snack. if no one was home, i would have sent him and/or his mom a text and waited outside on the porch, even though i knew their door was unlocked. YDI, OP. probably should have at least made sure you had teh right house before you walked in and helped yourself :/

This reminds me of a story about done bears and a girl with gold locks.

Bekeliyr 10

Not everyones relation is the same... Different norms applies to different environments and the relation itself.

It's outback Oz. Believe it or not, there actually are places in the world that you don't get shot or stabbed on site for not being recognized. It's an old mate that lives out in the country, therefore there aren't that many houses/ properties around. Would be easy to get dis-oriented. If he thought for sure it was his mates' places, then sure thing eat their food lol.

mal2012 4

U didnt think to call n let ur friend know u were on ur way? Or that u were there?.... Well i hope the other fam was understanding.

mal2012 4

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

25 - I really wish I could thumb you up. xD

mal2012 4

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Nonsense Alan, my dog writes FAR better than that.

jjames7543 13

42: I don't know how you could. I'm also on my iPod and I can't vote on the mod (even though I desperately want to give Alan a thumbs up).

Even with the grammar of a tooth pick I'm thumbing you down because OP went to the wrong house. Even if they did call and say they where on their way, doesn't matter because they went to the WRONG house. (not sure if I used the right "where" or "their")

jjames7543 13

32- what the hell? Nobody I know texts like that, and if they did, I'd never text them again. Also, this isn't even texting, so im not sure why you put that.

42-I call bullshit on you, sir. Unless you have some crazy variation of the iPod app, you can't thumb the mods up or down.

coughyochick 7

Since I was 11 I have been texting properly because it pisses me off when someone sends a text like this: H3y W@z UP MAn? Plus, it just looks plain stupid.

I can't stand text talk. Especially since almost everyone has a smart phone, with a full keyboard. It made more sense to txt lik dis wen fones didn't have full keyboards. But now there is no need to do that. I don't text me friends back if they use text talk to me.

Text talk as in BRB or GTG or WUA make sense because they save time and are easy to understand. Otherwise talk like a person

Alan, as a granmar freak and a hater of stupidity, you are my hero.

I'd have laughed, if it was my house. Once I was assured you were hungry and not dangerous, of course. I'd have even let you keep the food you took.

Keliosan 6

It's nice to see someone taking this lightly. Everyone else is ready to crucify the guy for making a mistake.

I don't really think many people would be willing to take the food from OP after it's been digested...

Keliosan 6

I would assume he was still eating and 4 meant the food he hadn't finished yet.

Same here! XD And you know it'd make a great story!

mbusey 20

Why would you do that? Common sense is disappearing faster and faster these days.

... He obviously thought it was his friends house... that's why he thought it was okay. Did you even read the FML?? Haven't you ever accidentally tried to get into the wrong car? Accidentally walked into the men's room? This is pretty much an accident along those lines... only far more embarrassing; I'd have to say.

smb12346 17

National Lampoon's European Vacation

Ever heard of a calling if their not answering?

OhDearBetrayal 25

**they're. If only people had basic grammar education, the world wouldn't have any Grammar Nazis.

Keliosan 6

Yeah, it would, but they would be called something else...assholes maybe?

Aug1508 9

That's just plain rude. You deserve it for not being respectful