Moving day

By Anonymous - 11/09/2015 18:49 - Canada - Brampton

Today, I told to my girlfriend of 5 years that I'm depressed about having no friends, no job and a difficult family life. I told her that she's the one constant that keeps me going. She decided this was a good time to break up with me to "find" herself, since I was being so mopey. FML
I agree, your life sucks 26 354
You deserved it 3 836

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's so sad reading all these FMLs of people with relationships of years and the other brakes up due to the other being depressed, or losing their job etc. I'm sorry op

Try and join a group where you can talk about your problems. I'm sorry for you but she sounds like a bitch.

Comments

My now ex of three years did that "you're all I have, I'd kill myself without you" kinda shit, too. Except the only downside to his life at the time was his parents moved to Florida while he stayed here for college. Would you rather she have lied and pretended to love you? Because I did that after constantly hearing "I don't know what I'd do without you" and not wanting to be the reason he did anything stupid. It ended much worse than it could have if I had just straight broken up like your girlfriend had. She should've chose a better time, but she's not "unworthy of you". She's not a shitty person. It's not her fault she lost feelings for you. You can't force love.

U need to start motivating yourself. Get out there try to find a job and I'm sure you'll meet great people on the way that could be your potential new friends !

I think much here depends on what kind of depression we're talking about. Is OP medically-diagnosed depressed, or is he using the more colloquial my-life-kind-of-sucks-at-the-moment definition? If it's the latter, than either his girlfriend was already looking for an excuse to leave...or the idea of being your "reason for living" unnerved her. While some people are flattered by being called their partner's "saviour", that's too much pressure for others. Some people don't want to be the centre of their partner's universe - they've got their own solar system to maintain. Or they just suspect that they'll be made the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong the instant that pedestal starts to wobble. If it's the former, then there aren't any winners. I don't think the message of "Your love can fix them!" does anyone any favours. Love cannot cure depression. Therapy and medication can sort out depression. If the OP was refusing these options and preferred to vent to his girlfriend, she had every right to say "Enough." If he WAS seeking help, then his girlfriend certainly seems less sympathetic, but ultimately? A relationship ends when one person doesn't want to be in it anymore. Harsh and unfair, but true. I'm assuming FYL OP, as I assume you made the remark as a compliment and not a manipulative move. But I would guess your girlfriend is guilty of little more than insensitivity and terrible timing, even in the worst case scenario, not utter heartlessness.

Honestly, I've got to say that it sounds like you ARE being mopey. No job and no friends can both be fixed. Go put in job applications to anywhere and everywhere and you WILL find a job; go join some clubs, volunteer, or just smile at a stranger or two and you WILL find friends. People gravitate toward happiness, OP, and though it does suck about your poor family situation, I'm sure you still have things to smile about and be thankful for. "Laugh and the world laughs with you, cry and you cry alone. For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth, but has troubles enough of its own." So cheer up, look on the bright side, and be a happiness magnet! :)

Ah, to be neurotypical and oblivious to the problems of mental disorders.

quarterbird 18

I'm sorry that you're having a rough go of it, OP. I really hope that things improve for you and/or you get help. She seems like she may be selfish. That said, you don't tell someone that their your reason to keep going... except perhaps your parents or maybe your wife. You basically told her that she's the only reason that you haven't killed yourself. That's a lot of responsibility to put on someone with whom you don't have lifelong ties.

brocho 26

Aww, I'm so sorry, OP. Hang in there! You are better off without her anyway.

kewpiesuicide 29

Something very similar to this happened to me a little more than a year ago and it ended up honestly being the best thing I could've ever asked for. At the time, of course it was terrible and it was hard work pulling myself together but I did it all by myself and it is my biggest accomplishment.

May be she was the reason underlying your misery with you not realising. Count your blessings. Good luck op..

It so sad to see couples who lasted years breaking up just from depression anxiety etc,I have anxiety disorders and I would hate to just be left for something I can't control...keep your head up,it will get better,take that from someone who has really bad problems,trust me things will get better.

VoodooPriestess 16

I think it's horrible this happened to you, but on another note it is a lot to push onto another person and you should be glad it ended before you began relying on her anymore.