Losing

By unemployed and bereaved - 25/11/2013 05:03 - United Kingdom

Today, my boss claimed that I've been lying to get days off because apparently nobody can be so unlucky as to have three family members die within a month. I'm just that unlucky, and suspended. FML
I agree, your life sucks 54 674
You deserved it 2 824

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just show him their death certificates, that'll shut him up. I'm sorry for your loss. All of them.

Comments

Ecudaniel 16

I think u just surpassed Bad Luck Brain's bad luck.

perdix 29

He's probably too cheap to shell out for paid Bereavement Leave. After a death in my family, a co-worker pointed out to me that we are entitled to three days of paid Bereavement Leave for certain deaths in the family. Not my boss, my co-worker. Sorry for your losses.

Hate to break it to you but some of the best paying jobs and the ones we want have assholes for bosses. It could be a really awesome job, just because he has a bad boss does not make it "not worth it"

What does he want you to do? Prove it? I know you can and could but you shouldn't have to. If you're hardworking (and I am sure you are), your boss should trust you. Sorry, OP.

I see. I didn't really think about that, especially because if a school (like you mentioned) asks for proof then so would a job but each time I've had to leave school (no matter the circumstances) I didn't need proof of anything. I guess I just found it a little insensitive to ask for proof, but I don't have any experience in that area

@15 in a perfect world they wouldn't have to, but unfortunately people lie about this stuff all the time to get time off of work. So the people who are really grieving have to prove it

conman531 23

can someone tell me why OP in any way shape our form deserve this?

RedPillSucks 31

Apparently so people can get their FML badges.

CrazyGirlfriend 21

Some YDI's are accidental and some are to just get badges. I dont know why badges are so freaking important to some. Their lives must really suck if that is what they have to show off.

bfsd42 20

If op just let the suspension happen without putting in some serious effort to prove the deaths, then maybe they deserve it.

bfsd42 20

If op just let the suspension happen without putting in some serious effort to prove the deaths, then maybe they deserve it.

catkat1988 17

I'd say take it up with a higher-level manager or the HR-department, and show them the death certificates. Your boss is an ass, and this approach is bound to get him into hot water. Seriously, trying the old-fashioned trick of actually talking to an employee and connecting on a human and personal level would easily tell him whether or not someone is lying about something like this, but I suppose empty accusations and a suspension is easier.

I'm sorry for all your losses OP and I'm sorry that your boss is such an insensitive jerk off this is the last thing you need added to your plate I hope things start to look up for you soon.

ouch! That is really slack. Sorry Op. :( x

Oh wow, that sucks! Sorry for your loss. :/