Lawyer up

By gnofin - 22/03/2016 21:23 - United States

Today, I was walking out of a grocery store. I hit the button on my key to open the trunk, which hit an old lady just under her chin and knocked her to the ground. As she laid there, she pointed a shaky, bony finger at me and yelled that she would sue me for everything I have. FML
I agree, your life sucks 20 547
You deserved it 3 028

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why was she so close to your car in the first place?

Why didn't you check if somebody was around? Though she doesn't really have any grounds to sue you, you should have apologised. Hope you did OP.

Comments

Why was she so close to your car in the first place?

plus trunks don't even open all that fast

Marcella1016 31

Sounds like OP has an SUV. Those don't open straight up like a car trunk, but open out backward. In grocery store parking lots, people generally walk near the parked cars while walking to/from the entrance, so as not to be in the way of the other cars going by looking for parking spaces. Sounds to me like this was a perfect storm of events that unfortunately combined at the most inopportune time. F the lady's life and F your life, OP.

CrassKal 27

28, I've seen how fast certain old people move. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them couldn't escape a slow moving car door. That being said, I'm not sure if the doors have enough force behind them to knock someone down. OP if she's is serious look and see if there are records of her suing other people over "accidents", some people actually make a career of this.

You mean Nancy Drew? Women can -think- like Sherlock Holmes.

Mojayokok 7

Exactly! This make absolutely no sense, she would have to be literally leaning over the trunk area. #QuitYourBullshit

Why didn't you check if somebody was around? Though she doesn't really have any grounds to sue you, you should have apologised. Hope you did OP.

what makes you think OP didnt apologize. i honestly have to wonder why she was so close. most trunks only swing straight up. if its a hatch back then it would swing a couple of feet. but not with that much force

She's probably one of those people who hops out in front of cars and gets hit. Then she sues for a living.

how did she manage to get so close to the trunk for that to happen? sounds like a freak accident to me.

just toss her half a piece of gum and say "this is all I got for ya"

There is nothing she can sue for here. It's not negligence because there is no proximate cause. It's not foreseeable that somebody will have their face that close to your trunk and receive an injury from you opening it like that.

Why would you open the door if there was someone behind your car...?