Jesus Saves

By workaholic - 06/03/2014 16:24 - United States - San Francisco

Today, I thought I'd finally finished the special project my boss gave me of changing the eligibility details on several hundred loans. My coworker later pointed out that the document was the same as it had been hours before, and that the changes I made hadn't saved at all. FML
I agree, your life sucks 42 467
You deserved it 7 450

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Yea. Always use autosave. or Ctrl+s frequently. FYL

Comments

Use 'save as' and rename the file. Save every few minutes. That way you know it has saved :)

If the pc hasn't been switched off, it is theoretically possible to recover it even though it hasn't been saved. Your pc creates temporary backups every so often. Let this be a lesson though, always save frequently (and if it's important create a backup as well).

Wouldn't it still be likely to have a backup if the PC had been switched off? I've experienced several occasions in which I was working on a PC, something happened to make it turn off, and then why I started it up again and opened Microsoft Word, there was that thing I was writing as a recovered document...part of it anyway.

Not necessarily. But it is still possible. It's not as easy to recover though as it would be if the PC had been kept switched on. If the PC did create a backup, it may have been cleared during shut down.

#22 That will only work if you've saved the document at least one time before. Maybe that is why it doesn't work always for you :). Anyways, I'm sorry for you it happened OP!

No, that's the thing. I hadn't saved it before.

#40 - i havent saved documents whatsoever before and they have been able to be recovered.

#56, Hmm my bad! I have been told you needed to save a document on Microsoft Word once, before Word autosaves it, so I always make sure I save it once and that works perfectly fine. You could be right tough, I haven't been in a situation where I haven't had saved it before in a long time.

I'd be kicking my own ass for that one. Especially since I'm guessing it involved numbers and all kinds of math and took forever to complete. Sorry OP. We've all been there.

skipper2009 18

You must not be a gamer OP. You learn quick ALWAYS SAVE!

And have multiple saves, under different names, just in case.

25 Morrowind taught me that one. Can't remember how many times I lost HOURS to a sudden crash. Ah games before auto save existed.

Morrowind is amazing. +100 points for good taste in games. Have you seen what it's like with graphic update mods? My game may be modded to hell and back but it's gorgeous and much more fun character building than skyrim offered.

No I haven't seen that. But hell ya Morrowind is waaaaay bigger than skyrim.

I sure hope you didn't have a ton of changes made....

I believe the word 'hundreds', as well as the fact this is FML, means there was a ton of changes involved.

And the phrase "thought I had finished"

inner_peace 19

One little feature of modern technology that can save so much time and effort from being wasted.

sweetestbitcheva 14

You should've been constantly trying to save. No worries OP everyone makes mistakes! :)

WTF type of operating system do you have at your job..that sucks, im thankful we have macs at my job, no matter what we do, its saved immediately

Your operating system doesn't have anything to do with your editing software's auto-save capability. All my writing and editing gets automatically saved as well, and I do not use a Mac.