Jealousy

By Anonymous - 28/10/2018 14:00

Today, my girlfriend dumped me for refusing to stop talking to my female best friend. When I pointed out that my friend's a lesbian, she said, "How the hell does that change anything?" I have no idea why I'm not happy to be rid of that paranoid imbecile. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 767
You deserved it 467

Same thing different taste

Top comments

chessu 21

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions on this one. Yeah, of course, no one should ban or limit your relationships, but is it possible that you were spending a lot more time and gave a lot more attention to your best friend than you did her and were very coy about what you were doing together? Cause if my man hung out with someone else a lot more than me and I would have no clue doing what, I wouldn't be happy either. Also, is it possible that it's not actually jealousy, but that it's your female best friend who is somehow a bad influence and your (ex-)girlfriend was just trying to protect you? Just playing the devil's advocate here..

Comments

Lesbian or not, if you're talking about your friend a lot, your girlfriend was bound to get upset with you, because your attention wasn't focused on her. She would have dumped you even if your friend was a dude. Do the right thing, and apologize to her.

Gamessence 19

Hell no she needs to get over her self and understand THE WORLD DOESN'T REVOLVE AROUND HER.

You have a lot to learn about relationships. Limiting someone’s ability to talk to their friends is the fast track method to resentment and discontent. If someone tried to limit my ability to see me best friend I would dump them immediately. My wife and I do not limit who each other can talk to or look at and we always openly communicate with each other about our wants and needs. We’ve never fought, disagreed at times, but never fought, because we always openly communicate and don’t impose random rules on each other.

tapdancecolumbia 14

I'm not sure it was so much "I control your social life" as it is "Friend this, friend that, friend said, friend did, I told you about friend?" getting real old real fast. Did they sit and talk about the OP going on about someone else, especially a female which may have triggered the gf's worry that the OP may be in love with the girl regardless of his chances with her at the detriment of gf/OP's bond, or worried OP isn't ready for what romantic relationships in general require if he's hyperfocused on someone else, or if the OP flat out ignores her/won't spend time with her in favour of the friend... And if they did, did OP brush off the gf's attempts to voice her worries? The "Why does that matter" to me sounds like it isn't a romantic jealousy but a frustration in always hearing about this one individual non stop. On the flip side, did they talk about it several times and she just blindly raged at him for being with anyone else at any time for any reason? Did she flat out say she was worried they'd 'hook up'? Did OP try to explain that having a social life away from your partner is healthy, and she argued with that? If so, hell yeah, drop her and run while you can. That's just overbearing and possessive. Ultimately, I don't think we have enough info and we only have one side of the story.

chessu 21

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions on this one. Yeah, of course, no one should ban or limit your relationships, but is it possible that you were spending a lot more time and gave a lot more attention to your best friend than you did her and were very coy about what you were doing together? Cause if my man hung out with someone else a lot more than me and I would have no clue doing what, I wouldn't be happy either. Also, is it possible that it's not actually jealousy, but that it's your female best friend who is somehow a bad influence and your (ex-)girlfriend was just trying to protect you? Just playing the devil's advocate here..

julfunky 29

I was wondering the same thing. I have no problem with my boyfriend spending his time with his friends, no matter their gender or sexual orientation. However, a line is crossed when he starts spending MORE time with one specific friend than he does me. It makes me question whether or not he actually wants to be with me. I’m not so quick to judge this girl. Especially after the comment she made that said her being a lesbian doesn’t matter. That suggests that she isn’t worried about cheating; paranoia not being the problem here.

If the issue was simply him spending way more time with the friend than with the girlfriend, than the proper solution would be to sit down with the boyfriend and explain why it is making you feel annoyed. It is not to demand that he stop talking to his friend all together. If that is actually what the girl did, regardless of the excuse she makes up in her head for it, she's a bitch who deserves to be alone. You don't get to dictate your partner's friends. If you think you do, you are not mature enough to be in a relationship.

chessu 21

All we know they'd had multiple talks about it and it was a last resort of 'you need to show me I am important to you'. According to the post, it was she who dumped him after all. From the OP's phrasing and immediately calling her an imbecile, I am actually more inclined to take her side based on the information given.

I think this doesn’t make you a devil’s advocate— it rather makes a lot more sense than simply assuming the ex gf is the paranoid girl one; I agree.

MA_medQ 7

How do you know they’ve had multiple talks about this?

Alright, hear me out. What if she decided she'd rather date your friend.

AxelRose 6

If she's that stupid you're better off without her.

My former GF who broke up with me about 3 months ago actually accused me of me of cheating on her with a a lesbian but that’s not the reason she broke up with me. It was supposedly for another but yes, if it has the right “anatomy” they will use it as a excuse. However she never complained about anything until about 2 weeks after she broke up with me.

ragingmuskrat 6

She's not worried about her liking you, she's worried about you liking her. I know I looooot of guys that think lesbians are hot.

I used to have a close friend who considered her self a lesbian, friends with tons of guys with girlfriends too. she ****** most of those men but still dated women. and when their girlfriends acted jealous she would blast them on social media for being insecure. and then continue to inappropriately converse with their men. lmao bitches be crazy