Insurance war

By Anonymous - 06/01/2013 10:01 - United States - Austin

Today, I came home to a flooded apartment and water still pouring from the ceiling. The woman who lives above me is shocked that I would consider her responsible for the damage and doesn't think she should have to pay for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 641
You deserved it 1 852

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well it's not her fault her floors weren't waterproof, she just wanted to turn the place into a waterpark! You'll be thanking her once she lends you the slip 'n' slide.

Comments

TheDrifter 23

Well she's partially right. If it's a burst pipe, the landlord pays. I hope you have renters insurance, or they're not going to be liable for any of your belongings either way.

perdix 29

She's right. The apartment complex is responsible to fix your damage. If the complex finds that she is the cause of your flooding, it's up to them to extract the money from her, but you have no right to get money from her directly.

Completely right, OP has to go through the renters insurance that they should have unless its the direct fault of the property owner or the lady stuck a hose through the window. That said if you aren't properly insured then you are in a very wean position and may find it difficult to impossible to get recompensed for damages. Property owners have to maintain, but only to a reasonable standard if they have done that a frozen pipe or damage resulting from something like that is going to be your insurance exclusively... This is the reason for said coverage if there is no direct liability through either neglect or intentional action then you may be screwed.

ByronJess 17

There are places where you actually buy and own your apartment and can do what you please with it. Not all apartments are strictly rent only.

perdix 29

#59, those are called condos, short for condominiums, not condoms.

FYL for finding a giants condoms. But YDI for deciding to live in it.. That white stuff is not water...

Valiumknights44 12

I love people who refuse to take responsibility for the stupid shit that they do. The very least she could do way apologize if she couldn't contribute financially.

Hey as long as she didn't fall through the roof naked in the bath tub.

There could've been some water leakage in the walls from pipes.

ArmlessSkydiver 7

Sounds like a slick situation

Why would it automatically be her fault? I mean, sure there's a chance, but there's also a chance it's bad pipes.

I really can't think of many things you can accidentally do to flood an apartment these days. most sinks and tubs have some sort of overflow. Busted water bed? over filling a fish tank. Of course the most obvious is stopped up toilet. Niiiice !

I agree, it's hard to flood an apartment, but I had to acknowledge it because you never know with people these days..haha

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I've been the girl upstairs flooding the downstairs neighbors. My washing machine was on the second floor of my condo, so when it overflowed it soaked my upstairs, the walls below it downstairs, and my neighbor's ceiling. Because it went through the wall I didn't notice it until it was too late. I felt TERRIBLE. At least I did the right thing and owned up to it though, and luckily my insurance covered about 90%.