Insurance war

By Anonymous - 06/01/2013 10:01 - United States - Austin

Today, I came home to a flooded apartment and water still pouring from the ceiling. The woman who lives above me is shocked that I would consider her responsible for the damage and doesn't think she should have to pay for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 641
You deserved it 1 852

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well it's not her fault her floors weren't waterproof, she just wanted to turn the place into a waterpark! You'll be thanking her once she lends you the slip 'n' slide.

Comments

If it is her fault I am sure this can be professionally established and then she would legally have to pay (or her insurance!) Good luck OP :)

Well she is an idiot and should've posted also. Well good thing there are insurance companies and lawyers that will convince her other wise, prove it, and take the stupid broad to the cleaners if that is what you feel you need to do.

Iknoweverything 29

I know there are some places in the country where people BUY their apartment, rather than rent. Wondering if perhaps the same principles apply. No, I'm not assuming OP buys or rent, I just wondered what would happen if someone owned the apartment and this thing happens. If somebody knows the answer, I'd like to be enlightened.

Still can be the building or property owner/mngmt company at fault a purchased property in a complex is still part of that complex and the bldg owners or management group are responsible for upkeep to utilities and services for the building as a whole. The owner of the apartment can change and do what they like to the space and so if the owner of the apt above made some sort of change that caused the issue she may be responsible but most complexes are like home owners associations you are only allowed to make certain types of changes or construction and must get permits and permission to do these.

For all you know, it could be your own pipes that run through the ceiling.

Glockinator 2

Technically if she didn't do it on purpose she isn't responsible. That's why you should have renters insurance.

Wow I would just send her the bill anyways

the same thing happened to me once! Our ceiling starting leaking water AND pee into our kitchen! we asked our neighbors and they said nothing happened and they didnt do anything! although they later admitted it was their toilet was backing up and over flowing... still have the damages in our ceiling...