Insurance war

By Anonymous - 06/01/2013 10:01 - United States - Austin

Today, I came home to a flooded apartment and water still pouring from the ceiling. The woman who lives above me is shocked that I would consider her responsible for the damage and doesn't think she should have to pay for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 641
You deserved it 1 852

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well it's not her fault her floors weren't waterproof, she just wanted to turn the place into a waterpark! You'll be thanking her once she lends you the slip 'n' slide.

Comments

ViviMage 38

Don't push it with her! Set up an escrow account with the city for rent until they fix it (you pay rent into this account that is held until the landlord corrects something, at which point the city turns ownership of money to the landlord) and talk to the landlord for insurance or your other homeowner's/renter's policy.

Obey_StudBoii 23

That's......alot of water damage. You still have time to Sue her. I'd try to go In and talk to her and maybe ask to take pictures to show management, and now that you have your evidence you can start a court case. Small claims go up to $500.00. Anything after that is taken as a serious matter. I studied the law for 2 years and graduated.

She would have to either have been liable through neglect or intentional action the FML does not provide near enough information to be recommending a law suit nor does it say the amount of damage... Legally this is the purpose for renters or home owners insurance which is the responsibility of the OP to carry for such a case. The lady upstairs will not be culpable unless she can be proven directly responsible through intent or neglect if its a pipe or bldg issue then it the property owner or manager not her at all so be careful recommending lawsuits without information the OP could accrue major legal fees and lose her case putting her in a worse situation people are too anxious to sue these days without knowing the story.

redlizzybeth 25

Yes, but law school takes four so how exactly did you graduate?

Doesn't insurance cover that? Tenants insurance or home owners?

Contract your landlord or management company. Then get your insurance involved and let those parties fix the situation.

@51 it might not be the greatest idea to sue before getting all the information. If there is simply a broken water pipe or something suing will just result in massive lawyer fees and possible problems from the courts for bringing a stupid case to them.

well I guess that would depend on what caused the problem if an old pipe broke not her fault now if she let the bathtub overflow than yes it would be her problem

We need the full story to judge here.

Epikouros 31

Another reason to live on the top floor...

Probably because it is absurd that she pay for it.