HR says no

By badluckbrian - 12/06/2019 04:15

Today, I lost my job. This was a surprise, as my performance hasn’t ever been an issue. My boss couldn’t look me in the eye while it happened, and the HR representative cut me off when I tried to ask why, informing me that they would only answer benefit-related questions. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 826
You deserved it 140

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Chances are they are firing you for something that would be against the law to fire you for. If they say they are firing you and just not telling you a reason they can get away with it.If they tell you the reason,and its illegal, you could cause them a boatload of legal trouble.So they are probably not going to budge on that. If you have any friends from work, get them to tell you what the boss said, if it was an illegal reason to fire you take the previous employer to court and attempt to sue them into the ground.

WeirdUS 29

Sorry to hear OP. Most states are right to work so they can fire for almost anything. Juding by your bosses reaction it doesn't sound like anything he control over and was sad to see you go.

Comments

Chances are they are firing you for something that would be against the law to fire you for. If they say they are firing you and just not telling you a reason they can get away with it.If they tell you the reason,and its illegal, you could cause them a boatload of legal trouble.So they are probably not going to budge on that. If you have any friends from work, get them to tell you what the boss said, if it was an illegal reason to fire you take the previous employer to court and attempt to sue them into the ground.

BigSissy 14

Something tells me that the boss is not going to tell their friends at work the reason for the firing.

Carolyn Bodie 6

And all the friends you thought you had at work will not go to court and say on the record what they heard you were fired for. Because they still have a job and want to keep it.

WeirdUS 29

Sorry to hear OP. Most states are right to work so they can fire for almost anything. Juding by your bosses reaction it doesn't sound like anything he control over and was sad to see you go.

Right to work is no longer valid as a "do what i want as a dictator, get out of being a fucktard to my good hardworking employee" card. Nowadays you can sue. If they won't tell you the reason, it's most likely discrimination which can be sued over. Absolutely take them to court or at least threaten to see if they relinquish an answer.

WeirdUS 29

Suing is exspensive and you have to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was discrimination.

They will have to say why when the unemployment forms come in. If there isn’t an answer to why were you let go, they inquire. That’s how I found out I was fired over health issues they knew I had when I was hired. And no, I had no case. It was a small company and they could claim our arrangement was causing hardship on the company.

"Right to Work" states. Gotta love the bureaucratic wording.

Shalini 1
Mungolikecandy 19

If you are the U.S. then good luck to you as their employment laws seem very backwards.

I would look to see who gets your job. odds are it's someone related to your boss or the owner

Sorry that happened dude. Right now everyone is walking on eggshells at my work. People keep either getting laid off or fired or who knows what. Keep your head up yo!

Ask your boss to give you a good reference letter and move on.

Good point: Get the reference letter in hand.