By Kan23 - 26/01/2016 03:37 - United States - Altus

Today, I got fired from my job. When I asked why, all that was said to me was, "We don't have to disclose that information, but you did nothing wrong. It's just not working out." FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 038
You deserved it 1 467

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's not you, OP, it's them. I hope you and the company can remain friends at least. However, they didn't deserve you and were probably employing other people behind your back.

Comments

unfortunately, if you are in an at-will employment state (which is most of the US) then they can do that. your employment can be ended at any time with no warning, nor recourse

Yep. And even states that aren't at will can still fire employees without reason under certain circumstances. for example, most of those states don't require that part time employees be protected by law at all, so they can do whatever the flying flip they want to that employee.

babywearingmama 3

The only benefit to getting fired is you can now seek unemployment benefits while searching for another job. Better luck next go!

Shugnight 2

At-will employment give rights to both sides, do you really want to lose the right to leave a job you no longer want? Because in any other situation you would be bound to a contract without the opportunity to leave.

@40 You can still leave a job, you just have to work notice. My current notice period is 2 months. I think that's a very small price to pay for job security.

Seriously, when I read stuff like that, I am so relieved not to be American

lechatsurletable 14

40, I used to live in a "just cause" state. It's like 49 said, as an employee, you just have to give notice that you're leaving. The catch where I lived was that you couldn't sue your employer for things, unlike in at will states. So yes, you had a degree of job security if you were full-time, but if something went wrong, you also couldn't bring suit to rectify it. (Of course, if there's a criminal issue, you could go to the police, but you couldn't really bring civil suits.)

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

It's not you, OP, it's them. I hope you and the company can remain friends at least. However, they didn't deserve you and were probably employing other people behind your back.

lexiieeex3 32

Sounds more like wrongful termination to me...

KhaleesiDannie 26

"Um you mean EX company right?"

Shugnight 2

That's incorrect. Any lawyer would tell you that you have no case, as the company broke no laws.

I know this isn't in Canada, but in Ontario you can be fired for any reason; HOWEVER, they have to pay you in lieu of notice. Normally, they try to avoid giving you any reason at all as if they say the wrong thing you could then take it to a lawyer for wrongful termination.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18
selquist 6
Publikwerks 14

Make sure to put in for unemployment. If they want to claim that your were terminated with cause, they will have to state why.

hilamonster06 21

Wow! Did ya get fired or break up with someone. That sounds like it's the whole, it not you it's me bs. sorry ya got fired, good luck with the job market.

That sounds like a break up. Don't worry. There's other jobs out there. Keep your head up!