By terribob1 - 08/07/2016 14:52

Today, I was terminated from my job. This comes after I sent HR an email about an inappropriate relationship between my manager and a counselor. Seems like I should have kept my mouth shut. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 513
You deserved it 4 493

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Every time I was witness to things like that which were against company policy, I made an anonymous complaint in writing to both HR, the head of HR, and the head of the division or branch who was above the level of those who were doing wrong. Can't fire me if you don't know who I am, though I would sometimes get called in along with other people so they could try and root out the "troublemaker." I'd play dumb, of course, because surely they'd fire me for some made up reason.

There are "whistle-blower" protection laws and rules in most com

Comments

There are "whistle-blower" protection laws and rules in most com

There are "whistle-blower" protection laws and rules in most larger companies. You should check to see if you are entitled to some protection and a possible lawsuit. On the other hand, the bastards can usually find an excuse to fire "trouble makers". And nothing kills a promising career like being labeled a trouble maker for suing their employer. Sorry OP you were the one who got screwed.

whistle blower protection is usually for people who alert media/law enforcement to illegal activity by a company. This would most likely fall under a "no retaliation" clause, which OP can still challenge.

sterling1113 15

Unless it directly affected you(seeing them interact, neither of them worked well together) you kinda deserve it for getting into someone else's business. But, regardless, FYL. Hope you can get some severance compensation or something until you find something new.

While it might not effect OP, relations between a manager and another employee can come with a slew of issues- different treatment of the employee in question, lower productivity, or the failure of the supposed meritocracy that should exist when promoting worthy employees. It's not personal business if you bring it to work. Op was right to come forward, and it's unfortunate that they got ficked over.

Technically, those would directly affect OP, which justifies the comment.

What was the reasoning behind the firing? I don't want to be that guy but, given proof and circumstance, a lawsuit is in order.

Every time I was witness to things like that which were against company policy, I made an anonymous complaint in writing to both HR, the head of HR, and the head of the division or branch who was above the level of those who were doing wrong. Can't fire me if you don't know who I am, though I would sometimes get called in along with other people so they could try and root out the "troublemaker." I'd play dumb, of course, because surely they'd fire me for some made up reason.

Same here. It takes five seconds to make an anonymous gmail account. I needed to do this at my work thanks to some massively unethical things going out without the upper echelon knowing.

Go the the Better Business Bureau, see if they can help out.

"The Better Business Bureau does not handle complaints that involve...employee/business disputes"

you deserve it for being too nosy. ****!

ALWAYS cover your tracks when criticizing bosses. Laws mean nothing unless you have the money to fight it in court. This is illegal but proving it would be darn near impossible, especially in at-will states where you can be fired for literally no reason.

ugh! if i could just hit "you deserve it" 500 more times :(