Hip cats

By :(( - 24/06/2012 21:45 - United States - Montevideo

Today, my parents felt the need to lecture me about how people who "smoke the reefer" are a "waste of life" and will never amount to anything. I was baked during the entire conversation, and actually ended up breaking down in tears, because I realized they were totally right. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 060
You deserved it 50 976

Same thing different taste

Top comments

nadnerbz 6

Here come all the weed debates...

Police officer: How high are you. Pothead: No officer, it's "Hi, how are you"?

Comments

I used to smoke weed every day, that was when I was jobless, lazy, single, and wrapped up in my own sorrows. Today, a year after quitting I have an excellent day job, a business, a beautiful girlfriend and a nice car. It's amazing what you can do when you're NOT stoned. Every now and then it's ok, but when you smoke every day it just puts you down.

I agree completely. Marijuana is like alcohol. Every once in a while is a okay, but do it everyday and you'll waste your life away. The most common problem with marijuana is how lazy it makes you. Do it on a day you have nothing to do. If you have no job, you should be spending your days searching for one, not smoking weed or drinking.

Agreed. Weed is a great teacher but you can't stay in school all day. It's a waste. You have to get out and live. It's actually much better the LESS often you smoke it.

damn he doesn't have a house yet though?

twisted_cherub 14

I have a friend who gets stoned daily. She has for as long as I've known her. She owns and runs a successful business, volunteers with several non-profit organizations, sings in a band and has a very active social life. Not saying that's the norm, but I know plenty of unemployed people who waste their days on video games or TV and don't smoke pot. Laziness is in the person, not the THC.

I don't know your friend, but I'm guessing she smokes at the end of the day when all her responsibilities are already fulfilled, or she's of the rare kind who has heightened creative abilities when high, and she has a job that is conducive to that. Certain people react differently to certain substances, and yes, there are exceptions to most rules. However, for the majority of people, daily marijuana use is highly destructive. And yes, video games can be extremely addictive. I am of the opinion that WOW and COD have claimed more lives of young men than actual war.

83, Try smoking a sativa, you won't feel as lazy as if it's an indica, or a hybrid strain. :] As for all you other people...have you ever researched weed? If not, shut up.

311- Have you done in-depth research on weed? And I'm not talking about rolling seven different blunts and seeing which is the best.

I've researched it, grown it, sold it, smoked just about every strain that's ever existed in every way possible. The only benefit I saw was that my back pain goes away while I'm high. Other than that it made me lazy and antisocial, the only thing I looked forward to every day was the next time I was gonna be high. It seems to affect everyone differently, as I know people who smoke it daily and seem to be fine. Maybe OP is like me and just feels the negative effects and can't push himself to quit. I can say though, I had no problems quitting when I was ready to.

I smoke every day, im a star on the high school basketball team, and i have a job. Weed does not make a person lazy. You just have to get on with your everyday life even if you are stoned, and it's fine.

twisted_cherub 14

240- My friend runs a personal assistant agency. She smokes before work. She has social anxiety issues and the weed helps calm her nerves so she can speak with clients and handle jobs. Like I said, I know that's not the norm. She's just an example of how weed doesn't make people lazy, they have a choice in the matter. Lazy people will find something to fill their time and keep life from happening.

HentaiBunny 4

I work full time, go to school, live independently, pay my goddamn taxes and smoke weed when I feel like it, because I enjoy it. People need to get off their high horse about this weed shit, it's old.

Congratulations on admitting to breaking the law. Must feel good, right? We're not impressed, I assure you.

mhopper 13

^Agreed. It's the harder drugs that really mess you up. Weed is just a relaxant. I know plenty of successful people who occasionally smoke weed. If you choose to do nothing with your life, that's a choice. Don't try to place the blame elsewhere.

HentaiBunny 4

It's not illegal in California if you pay $100 for a cannabis card. Alcohol should be illegal. Wtf Doc, I always enjoyed reading your comments, and now this. :( You hurt me.

HentaiBunny 4

Plus the "illegal" argument is too shaky. So is jaywalking, u-turns at certain lights, downloading media, and wearing a duck on your head in Minnesota. *true btw*

Bunny, if you've read my comments you know I'm no fan of marijuana nor the people who smoke it, even recreationally. You can't just pay money for a card. You have to have a valid reason to use it medicinally, and if you don't then you're committing fraud. It's still illegal, even in your state, to smoke it recreationally whether you want to admit it or not.

Congrats your state sucks dick shows off there **** and practically walks arpund naked! now you all get a card to allow you to smoke weed, thats discusting tbqh you *****.

haha instead of hentaibunny should be playboy bunny you suit it more drugslut xD

I'm tired of people thinking they're hot shit because they light up three times a year. There's better things you can do to make you feel good than smoke pot. And they're legal! And I'm not on a high horse. I think smoking anything is going to be bad for your lungs.

HentaiBunny 4

It's sketchy in California, you can basically just say you have a headache. And you can legally grow 75 plants a person, you can't legally sell it. If people are educated on marijuana, and then can decide how they feel about it, I respect that. It's the "ALL POT SMOKERS ARE HIPPIE LOSERS" bullshit that's like, gimme a break. And you can think of me as a criminal, it's all good.

I like how she tries to justify smoking it by listing all of her 'accomplishments' in life. This also goes for every other asshole that has a bullshit testimonial consisting of 'I smoke weed and am a Straight A student/valedictorian/ on varsity etc. etc.

HentaiBunny 4

The people who haven't tried it get sooo offended by weed. It's been around and people smoke it whether they're hobos or CEO's. Get over it.

Nah, I'm not offended. But you sure as hell seem to be. In my opinion, anything that compromises you--health wise, behavior wise, etc.-- is best left alone. And you can't tell me it doesn't affect your behavior; two idiots here in Georgia burned down a historic building after hitting up the magic dragon.

HentaiBunny 4

If they've been educated on it and still hate it, I respect that. Burning down a building is pretty bad though, that sounds like it was laced...

GirlOnFire143 6

Why the hell would you smoke weed anyway?? I get that it makes you feel good or whatever, but the side effects, having to hide your stash, and lying doesn't really make it worthwhile.

Marijuana is a touchy subject. Smoking anything is bad so just eat or drink it ;) It may be illegal but that's only if you get caught. Too much of anything is bad. Except marijuana! Nope that can be bad too. Why do you care what I do behind closed doors? 7 billion people in the world and only 2 billion can legally consume harmless greens such as marijuana. What has our government become!! Don't fall for the brainwashing! Some of you do need your brains washed. But I could careless I'm eating a brownie not giving a f***! Don't hate me bro 120k a year a wife 2 kids 3 cars a big house and a big dick. I'm the big dick btw! Jk jk I'm just high. Or am I?

93- You can also have a happy and successful life without smoking weed. There really isn't a need for it. The synthetic marijuana is even worse for you! Even some of the medical patients can be given alternate medications.

102 there are a lot of things we don't NEED but use anyway: deodorant, makeup, spices, hair straightener, etc. Your relaxer is much more dangerous than eating a pot brownie a couple times a month. It's not about need, it's about quality of life. For some people moderate weed use enhances the quality of life in a positive way. Of course that doesn't justify being high all day every day. But not at all?! That's just ignorant.

Well, DocBastard IS a doctor. I hear most doctors aren't typically big fans of things that cause cancer. I bet he disapproves of tobacco and alcohol too. Anyway, doing something that will get you a big fat fine, a misdemeanor on your record, job loss, and even possible jail time is a bad idea. Marijuana makes you lazy and should only be smoked on a day you have NOTHING to do.

I do, however, think marijuana should be legalized, not because I think it's harmless, but because I think it being illegal causes more problems than it would if it was legal. It's the modern prohibition. Banning alcohol only exacerbated existing problems and even created new ones. Now that it's legal again, many of those problems have either dramatically decreased or vanished completely. I think we'll likely see similar results if marijuana is legalized. In fact, I strongly suspect the only reason it hasn't been legalized already is because there's no field sobriety test for it. In other words, if a cop pulled you over for suspected "driving while high," there would be no way for him to prove that you were under the influence of marijuana.

116- For one, I don't see a need for makeup either. I don't wear it. I don't see a need to put harsh chemicals in my hair. I don't do it. I can't tell if you're calling me ignorant for thinking smoking weed is pointless or you're saying people are ignorant if they're ALWAYS high. All that aside, none of the thing that were mentioned in the list of things we have no need for are legal EVERYWHERE. You can't justify marijuana usage by comparing it to something like deodorant. Yes, deodorant is said to give you cancer. But will it decrease brain cell counts? Mess up your lungs? Possibly cause things to go wrong during pregnancy? Cause you to be arrested? Cause you to act stupidly? I didn't think so.

gree_fml 11

The same argument can be made for candy, which, of too much is eaten, causes tooth decay and stomach aches. Many people are against marijuana smokers, recreational or frequent. I wonder why when, in my experience, me smoking ANYTHING in my backyard hasn't harmed anybody. If it in no way affects you, why not just decide not to smoke and reserve all judgements unless asked for them?

MarisaCB 16

I'm sorry, but marijuana is not good for you. When using it for medical treatment, its in regulated doses and coming from a secure, safe place. However, the smoke from marijuana and the smoke from cigarettes contain many of the same toxins. Plus, when bought off the street it's often from people who are looking out for their own profit, not for your health. If you have cancer and can't cope with the pain, then sure. Smoke. But if you're looking for a good time, you don't have to be high.

The American Medical Association completely disagrees with you

Well Bunny, I smoked weed once and I received no joy from it. It just made me feel like shit for the next 24 hours, therefore your argument that "people who haven't tried it are so weird about it, is invalid.

^ sorry forgot the other quotation mark

twisted_cherub 14

I get that pot isn't healthy, but neither is the occasional beer, any alcohol (aside from a few good effects from wine), fatty foods, simple carbs, speeding, not wearing a seat belt, texting while driving, unprotected sex (even condoms aren't 100%), carbonated beverages, too much sunlight, not enough sunlight, tanning beds (now they say spray on may cause cancer, too), flat shoes (like flip-flops), high heels, tight pants, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, red 40, sitting too close to TV, listening to headphones, video games, not enough sleep, too much sleep, aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, fast food, energy drinks...... You get the point. Nothing we do too much of is healthy. I don't smoke pot, but if someone wants to enjoy they're life the way they see fit (as long as they don't hurt anyone else or use taxpayer money to do it) I say let 'em.

So much fighting… I don't want to live on this planet anymore. *moves to the moon*

beccaishereyay 11

124- I am tired of your righteous attitude. I don't see the point you are trying to make. Please explain it to me? Is it that people who smoke weed are not as good as you? Or is it that people who use makeup or "harsh chemicals" are not as good as you? I don't see a need to straighten my hair but I don't judge you because you do. I like to wear makeup but I don't judge you because you don't. I smoke weed but I don't judge you because you don't. Please stop judging people because they do something you don't like. Just because something isn't legal "EVERYWHERE" does not give you a right to say it's horrible. That's called American government. You can have "a happy and successful life" whether you smoke or not. I hope you have a happy and successful life and someday realize that different people have different values, beliefs, morals, etc. and that there's nothing wrong with stating your opinion as long as you aren't offending people... Which you have been doing.

I beg to differ. I really believe that people NEED deodorant. Just saying.

aprilita 8

I think that the only reason people view marijuana as such a bad thing is because it's illegal, I'd say legalize marijuana and I've never smoked before in my life . I simply don't view it as something bad. there are hundreds of other things that are legal and can kill you, and as far as I'm concerned, marijuana can't kill you.

You completely I nailed it. There's different types of people and any one could be successful or a failure. It's about their mentality their determination. How they were raised and the opportunities given. Smoking pot doesn't make you a failure and it won't make you successful. Not one person has a map to life. It changes when you change.You can only make you successful.

I never said people who do smoke weed are lesser than me. My best friend smokes. I've explained all the risks to her, but I told her I still love her no matter what she's doing. And ****...no one was judging! Nowhere in my comments did it say that I looked down on people who wore makeup. That means I'd look down on nearly every other girl at school. And I'm offending people? You're offending me right now. You're accusing me of judging other while simultaneously judging me and accusing me of being "righteous". You don't think I know that people have different values? It isn't like I've been living under a rock my whole life. And weed is illegal in most places for a reason. Why do you think killing people is illegal? Because a lot of people see it as morally wrong. So you're saying people who don't think smoking weed is good for you aren't allowed to voice their opinions against it, but if you're for it, you can voice your opinion? That's you being narrow-minded.

She wasn't making a comment to admit to breaking laws. She said it to make a point and a valid one at that. Options and all the good free speech stuff..

19- I don't think she was trying to impress anyone, just making a point that her life is fine even with the recreational use of marijuana. Y'know.. Commenting on the fml..?

TeddyB88 4

Some of y'all are idiots. Like the 14 year old that still has her c card. You haven't experienced anything in life yet so sit down somewhere and get off safari trying to sound like you research anything. Dude that says her point is invalid, it obviously isn't since you've tried weed so your input became invalid sir

TeddyB - I haven't had my "v card" since you were in diapers, and I've done extensive research on the subject. Is my opinion also invalid according to you?

369/370- I'm an idiot because I still have my virginity at fourteen? What the hell? I have experienced things in life. Maybe not as much as a 35 year old, but I've seen weed do bad things to kids my age and ones a bit older or younger. A lot of my family works in the judicial system, and they always tell me when they have to put a young person behind bars or on probation for marijuana usage. I have researched marijuana and its effects because I find it interesting how THC affects the brain. Stop talking out of your ass, please.

beccaishereyay 11

I'm seriously not trying to be rude here or put you down. And I'm not saying its not okay to voice your opinion against pot. It does, however, baffle me that you think someone at your age would be a good advocate for an anti-marijuana stance. You keep contradicting yourself. Yes, you do have a good way with words for a 14 year old and you seem very smart, but this is a debate you really have no right to be in. It is not legal in your state, therefore the ONLY reason you could have a right to speak out for is already taken care of. That's the ONLY thing that directly effects you . It is legal in California, therefore people here have a right to smoke when they want and not be criticized for it. It seems to me like you're just trying to get word out that weed is "bad", but you have nothing to back it up. You've never tried it or I doubt you've seen it destroy someone's life. And I'm not talking about one of your 14 year old friends trying weed, getting caught by their parents, and being in big trouble. I'm talking about people who are over 18, use it right, and have a legal right to do it. You keep saying your family has judicial background and that they keep telling you certain things. Which makes my assumption that your beliefs are still your parents beliefs true. You should wait until your older and have experienced more and have developed your own beliefs before jumping into another argument like this.

BunBunBabe 8

Shut up everyone! Leave bunny alone she's not trying to impress anyone she's commenting on a post like all of you. People who smoke- go smoke and chill out. People who don't smoke- go do something fun and legal and stop fighting over something none of you can control.

If you don't do it then keep your judgements to yourselves because you honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Marijuana is smoked by most users but can be consumed other ways. Your only valid argument is that it is illegal and braking the law is a crime. But do any of you know why it is illegal in the first place? I bet you all have a different answer. Alchohal was illegal once it just held stronger roots in our culture and even though it leads to hundreds of thousands of deaths every year it's legal. Why give anyone trouble for what they do behind closed doors when it doesn't harm you.

rightspark 7

I smoke too occasionally. It really helps when I workout and go to work. It's up to the individual to change and blame the refer madness that goes on

I don't remember saying I never tried it. I had about half a pot brownie and blew chunks in the bathroom. Hated it. Never again. And I'm asthmatic, so I won't DARE try smoking anything unless I plan on keeling over...anyways! I've done research on the effects of things like THC and opiates because I just get curious. I try to figure out why weed messes with people. And the points I'm referencing kind of stem from both the cases I get shown by the judicial ones in my family, and the stoner/drop-out/burn-outs I know. I just think it changes people. Not necessarily for the better sometimes. And smoking marijuana is only legal for medicinal purposes. And I doubt that many people there have glaucoma. (;

garzamargaret93 0

There are people who do ****** up shit every day who aren't under any sort of influence. Angry people cause more trouble then mellowed out high people.

435: I'm not trying to be rude by any means. However, you have been very misled with your facts of the dangers of marijuana. Yes, granted the fact that smoking is unhealthy for you, there is a major difference between tobacco and marijuana. They do not have the same chemicals in them. While cigarettes contain rat poisons and other disgusting toxins that cause cancer, marijuana does not. It is an actual herbal plant that grows from the ground. I'm not using that to justify smoking because I, myself have never smoked a day in my life. Though 3/4 of my friends do, and none of them are the least bit lazy. It's not the pot, it's the OP using the pot as an excuse to be lazy.

293: I'm not trying to be rude by any means. However, you have been very misled with your facts of the dangers of marijuana. I do not smoke, but I have taken multiple years of medical, nursing classes and have done much research for it medicinally. Yes, granted the fact that smoking is unhealthy for you, there is a major difference between tobacco and marijuana. They do not have the same chemicals in them. While cigarettes contain rat poisons and other disgusting toxins that cause cancer, marijuana does not. It is an actual herbal plant that grows from the ground. I'm not using that to justify smoking because as I said earlier, I don't smoke though I have friends that do, and not one of them are the least bit lazy. Pot doesn't make you lazy, YOU make you lazy, then find the easiest thing to blame it on.

God damn your parents for completing my argument before I could, and damn you for capitulating so easily.

Scary to think a doctor would have such strong opinions on what makes someone a waste of life, or worth it, based on a decision that isn't morally corrupt in the least. I Hope you can maintain a professional level head free of bias and judgement when you're working and take into account everyone's different life styles Oh and it's *parents.;) MUAH!

I'm so excited for your Bastard crew/ FML anti weed Corp to come swooping in. Won't this super fun! :D

Did you just pick a fight with DocBastard? Not a good idea...

GirlOnFire143 6

Not a good idea at all... you should delete your account while you still can.

Mvems - thanks for pointing out my typo. Why the hell would you think it scary that a physician would have a strong opinion on a mind-altering substance? And how the **** do you accuse my personal opinion to be morally corrupt? I can guarantee you that I've done more research on this subject than 99.9% of the people here, so I know more about it than you could imagine. My opinion is a highly-educated one. What's yours? This isn't a "lifestyle" as you put it, it's a drug. Full stop. Feel free to disagree with me, But don't you DARE question my level of professionalism.

Ooo feisty! Rawr you smexy lion doctor. And no problem on the correction, don't mention it

GirlOnFire143 6

"Smexy lion doctor." Oh damn.

Mvems must be stoned out of her ******* mind right now, 'cause that's the laziest attempt at trolling I've seen all day.

Hahah yeah Thats really funny you said that, I was giving trolling a whirl and it turned out to be way to much effort, fighting with people.

mvems-For your own sake, put the keyboard/phone down, have a cold shower, and go to bed. You're digging yourself a deeper hole.

Nah this seems to be getting only more entertaining to me

Mvems- Before this, I thought you were a pretty decent commenter. Just stop while you're ahead. I'm pretty sure DocBastard is more educated in the detrimental side effects of marijuana than you are, considering he's, well you know...A DOCTOR. And just because he's a doctor, shouldn't mean he can't have a strong opinion of something. What if a doctor was like, "Meh. Cancer. I don't know anyone with it. I don't really have too strong of an opinion. Eh, I don't think I'll treat it.". Better that than try to let the blind lead the blind.

GirlOnFire143 6

Seriously. Take ManInTheMachine's advice.

MarisaCB 16

Doc, thank you. Finally someone who isn't a ridiculous "weed is organic" retard comes onto FML. And you actually know what you're talking about.

Thanks, but the mods deleted all my best arguments. *shakes fist angrily*

"your patents"? Doc, have you forgotten basic spelling again?

^ Result of Doc double fisting again. ;P (JK, FYI)

Oh! He mis spelled parents, never mind that other comment.

Glad to know not everyone on here parades around saying weed is the greatest gift known to man.

You should just smoke weed AND do something with your life...that will show them!

Look at Carl Sagen, or just google potheads that accomplish things. The list is pretty impressive.

Bonzer 2

Then google all the pot-heads who did nothing with there lives... probably none because they're not important enough for the internet.

I'm sure you can name around ten pot-smokers who did something with their lives. But how does that compare to the number of pot-smokers that won't amount to anything? I can name a lot more than ten, that's for sure.

raraisbang 12

My ex smokes pot. Despite the fact that he has a decent paying job, he is still broke because he spends all his money on weed, and even puts that before supporting our child. My mother and my boyfriend are both police officers, and the most common thing people are in jail for here is SIMPLE marijuana possession. Weed might not mess up everyone's lives, but it does destroy enough to be considered bad - all of you that think marijuana is the best thing ever and that people shouldn't be upset about weed or people who smoke it should look at people like me who have to take care of a child who will be basically be deprived of a father because he can't take time away from getting high to spend time with his son. Much less help buy the things he needs.

Everything in moderation. Time and place man. Good for medicine, not always good for production...

i wouldn't say everything....what about crack, heroin, herpes laden hookers, help me out here i know there's more

Heroin is an opiate just like morphine and is used as an anesthetic. I will give you crack though since I can't think of a time that is used other than destroying one's mind and body.

The_F3rris 11

Meth. Prescription pills! Never met a waste of life til you meet the sheeple who would go to the death for their pills. And it will end in death

Ok, feel free to be extreme with your literalness. I'm just saying that smoking some weed is not the end of the world and a joint in the evenings, for most people, won't ruin their lives. And it is in act the lifestyle and cut drug that is most of the issue with heroin. People with money hide heroin additions for decades with little issue. However, crack, meth, that shit? Do not touch! That, I'll agree.

When I smoked pot, I was going to school full time (which I paid for myself) and worked. And then started my own business. I only quit because I got pregnant. There are Many successful people who smoke pot. And just as many people who use it as an excuse to not achieve anything in their lives.

I agree with her look at the entertainment industry! Most of the people in Hollywood are on some sort of drug.

On the next episode of "Intervention"....

What about the people that smoke weed medicinally? For their pain and fight through cancer... They're wastes?! FAIL on your parents part.

dominic1221 6

Pretty sure they meant people that smoke it recreationally, mate.

I don't smoke weed so im not defending people who abuse it, and I'm not going to write out a huge argument. when you classify "people who smoke weed will amount to nothing" you are also classifying people who do rely on it for pain, insomnia, glaucoma, depressive disorders, etc. I am a first year resident and I work around lots of patients that require it. All I am pointing out is that no one has a right to say "all" people who smoke weed will amount to nothing... You might as well lecture about drinking alcohol, smoking, and all those other drugs out there... Like the ones that have people eating other peoples faces :/

bettyc4 26

They said reefer. Not " medical reefer" HAHAHAHA Technicality people!

95- Go. Just go. Please. Or not. Maybe it won't be me getting thumbed into FML-hell this time. It can be you now. You had a few valid points (I think?) but that was too hard to comprehend with the grammatical errors. And lack of organization.

Because those short chopped sentences you spit out were grammatically correct, 101. I agree with 95. Saying weed leads to a pathetic life is like saying people who don't smoke will be successful.

I highly doubt they were referring to the people dying of cancer who use it for medicinal purpose. I believe they were referring to their son, who is young and full of life. he has no medicinal use for marijuana so why the hell should he smoke it all day every day?

151- Somehow this showed up on the wrong post. It's a glitch or a natural human error. And usually, my grammar is pretty damn immaculate, just saying.

Who said he is full of life, young, or doesn't need it medicinally. You're making assumptions

rachelg6188 0

I own my own house , car , have a fantastic job and family and I "smoke the reefer" every day! Losers are gonna be losers no matter what