Great solution

By sullry - 25/12/2019 05:00

Today, I had a talk with my roommate that last semester my grades took a bit because he stays up late every night playing video games. And then asked him about playing less, so I can get more sleep. Today also, he gave me a pair of ear plugs and asked if they would solve the problem. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 607
You deserved it 888

Same thing different taste

Top comments

LadyRen 20

Did earplugs not work before? If possible try them and a sleep mask if the light from the TV is bothering you. Or try and find a new roommate if possible. If in a dorm, talk to the RA about this.

Sady_Ct 37

It’s called compromise. They both live there they both have a right to decent sleep and consideration from each other. As a gamer, I think this gamer is being rude, they can’t expect their needs to be all that matters. Both housemates need to sit and have a considerate chat and try to find a solution together.

Comments

slowhandjp 16

You can’t hear the alarm, eather.

LadyRen 20

Actually, earplugs can help soften noise from video games but they may not block out the alarm if it’s set very high. It also depends on how light/deep a sleeper the OP is. The alarm may be right by their ears, so it’s closer and easier to hear compared to a game system/TV with earplugs in.

LadyRen 20

Did earplugs not work before? If possible try them and a sleep mask if the light from the TV is bothering you. Or try and find a new roommate if possible. If in a dorm, talk to the RA about this.

What the hell? He's supposed to stop playing video games so you can sleep? That's really not how it works. Use the damn earplugs or learn to ignore the noise.

what an unsympathetic response. I've lived together with someone that would play video games until 4am every day when I had to get up at 7am to work and disrupted my sleep for a whole year. If you care about anyone but yourself, maybe learn to compromise if your habits are so horrible they're disrupting other people's basic needs that are living with you... Or plan to live alone. Not a lot of people will want to spend their life with someone so selfish they care more about their own fun than disrupting someone's sleep.

Sady_Ct 37

It’s called compromise. They both live there they both have a right to decent sleep and consideration from each other. As a gamer, I think this gamer is being rude, they can’t expect their needs to be all that matters. Both housemates need to sit and have a considerate chat and try to find a solution together.

Yes he is. People go to college to study, not to play games.

julfunky 29

People may go to college to study but that doesn’t mean that’s ALL they have to do. They are still humans who need to relax and unwind. And whatever their reasons, they are all paying the same amount for that room. Whether through scholarship or out of pocket. You don’t get to dictate what they use their room for. I don’t agree with the original comment, but yours is no better. You’re both acting as if it’s supposed to be one way or the other.

bloopaloop 27

If he didn’t play games at night you’d find something else to blame your lack of attention span on

No dude. OP's grades used to be good till gamer boy arrived on the scene. That is what 'My grades took a dip' means.

LEVI4T4N 4

If it's just a matter of noise, your roommate can get some noise-cancelling headphones and turn down the volume. If it's a visual thing, try an eye mask. If your roommate chats or yells a lot, ear plugs.

Get him some headphones all the game controller's have a jack for them

leximichelle 13

Is there a reason he can’t just lower his damn tv? Or find a room in the place that you can’t hear the TV?

Not sure if you spoke with him before about him playing video games keeping you up. 1) you should have said something before it affected your grades 2) maybe buy him some headphone and ask him to wear them after a certain time like 9pm.

xXPikachuXx 21

Get him some gaming headphones for Christmas. I got mine for like $16 on Amazon and I prefer playing with them bc my family doesn't have to hear my tv plus you can hear the characters direction better with them.