Pot meet kettle

By anon - 24/06/2022 17:00 - United States

Today, my boyfriend and I got into a fight because I bought two new makeup palettes. He ranted that I have too much already, it all looks the same, and that I’m a hoarder. Last month he threatened to break up with me for throwing out condiments that were two years past their expiration dates. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 128
You deserved it 214

Same thing different taste

Top comments

As a married man, I think this argument is mostly about who is spending too much money in the relationship. If he's arguing these points, I assume you live together, and the real argument is "you've spent too much money already, so why do you need to go spend more on something you already have" while the condiment argument is "why do you want to go toss these condiments that are 'perfectly okay' so we have to go spend money on new ones." (note that's his perspective, and depending on the condiment after 2 years it may totally not be okay, or may be fine but is likely not going to be missed) It's not about the makeup taking up to much space, it's about the financial expenditures on makeup being more than he's comfortable with.

Now that you threw out his condiments, you've really taken the lead in being a hoarder. It'll take him a while to... ...wait on it... ...ketchup.

Comments

As a married man, I think this argument is mostly about who is spending too much money in the relationship. If he's arguing these points, I assume you live together, and the real argument is "you've spent too much money already, so why do you need to go spend more on something you already have" while the condiment argument is "why do you want to go toss these condiments that are 'perfectly okay' so we have to go spend money on new ones." (note that's his perspective, and depending on the condiment after 2 years it may totally not be okay, or may be fine but is likely not going to be missed) It's not about the makeup taking up to much space, it's about the financial expenditures on makeup being more than he's comfortable with.

justwanttobesocial...butalsonot 9

Then that sounds like a serious communication issue on his part. It is not ok to degrade, insult, or dehumanize your partner because you can't be bothered to be honest

Thank you for pointing out how he’s gaslighting her.

Now that you threw out his condiments, you've really taken the lead in being a hoarder. It'll take him a while to... ...wait on it... ...ketchup.

justwanttobesocial...butalsonot 9

This is not ok. If therapy isn't an option, then I'd recommend leaving the relationship. Those comments are very disrespectful and not something that should be done. Therapy for both of y'all individually if possible or at least couples therapy. If only one of y'all can afford it and he's willing, that works too but it's always optimal if both parties can go.