Explain yourself!

By Alex - 21/11/2018 03:00 - United States - Monterey Park

Today, my wife, being very considerate, bought me a new phone for my birthday. That would be fine and dandy if cops didn't then enter my house and say I stole it. Turns out my wife paid $900 from MY credit card to the person who stole the phone. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 019
You deserved it 196

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If it was payed for with a credit card it should be easy to prove to the cops you didn't steal it and they should be able to catch the real thief. At least easier than explaining to your wife why it is not right to buy a birthday present for you with your money.

$900, seriously? **** me dead, I thought the whole point of buying stolen goods is that they're substantially cheaper than the standard retail price. I mean, not that I speak from experience.

Comments

$900, seriously? **** me dead, I thought the whole point of buying stolen goods is that they're substantially cheaper than the standard retail price. I mean, not that I speak from experience.

Right I bought a iPhone from EBay and it was much cheaper then me going to the Apple store 😭😭😭🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️

How do you buy stolen goods with a credit card? Does the criminal have an EFTPOS machine? Just call your bank and have the transaction reversed - simple.

biggie.dd 6

Simple: stolen goods sold to a shady shop (GSM shops are all around Europe, not sure about the US. In Europe most of them are run by immigrants from arabic countries who don't mind buying up stolen shit), and shop sells to unsuspecting wife.

My question is, if they were apparently able to track the phone to the OP's house shouldn't they also have been able to track it to whatever shop it was sold to? If they could see in the tracking history that it had gone to a shop than there is no reason they would have shown up and accused the OP of stealing the phone. Plus why wouldn't the wife have realized something was off due to the lack of proper packaging and the like and questioned why she was paying full price, or possibly more than full price, for a clearly second hand phone? If she's willing to pay $900 for a second hand phone, why wouldn't she just go pay $900 for a new one?

If it was payed for with a credit card it should be easy to prove to the cops you didn't steal it and they should be able to catch the real thief. At least easier than explaining to your wife why it is not right to buy a birthday present for you with your money.

Also, while you’re sitting in jail, the crook has all of your credit card info. Happy birthday!

onceuponatime456 16

This is completely bogus! I can't even begin to understand why you think someone would believe it.

The thief could have been using a portable card reader they plug into a smart phone and if the phone was a burner phone the thief would be untraceable

Paid. Not payed. You’re not dealing with a ship.

I'm confused. Your wife bought a $900 phone from a stranger and they took credit cards? And the cops stormed your house over a phone??? huh