Eat Y'self Fitter

By Shnur - 05/04/2009 04:25 - United States

Today, my patient, a chubby little girl, stood on a scale to measure her weight. She was 5 years-old and weighed 65 lbs. I started giving her advice on eating healthy: fruits, vegetables, and more greens. She turned to her mother with shocked look and said, "But mommy, the doctor is fat too!" FML
I agree, your life sucks 57 933
You deserved it 21 154

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Why the HELL is anybody saying the doctor deserved this? 5 years old and 65lbs is quite overweight. The average 5 year old is somewhere between 30-40, give or take a bit. The kid will have all kinds of health problems if something doesn't change soon, and Doc here was doing their JOB. Also, #11 is right, the one who should be getting the lecture is dear old Mom and Dad, probably letting their kid eat too many snacks and sodas and junk. Poor kid.

got_rice 0

I'd say the kid's the one who should be saying FML...at that age, they really have no control over what they eat, so its entirely the parent's fault for letting them eat poorly.

Comments

Kids are awesome, they can tell you to Eff off and people would still find it endearing. You deserve that too, practice what you preach. #72, Seriously? Omg you'll be the coolest parent ever. NOT.

Failercoptor 0

LOL hey its hard becoming a doctor, its alot of studying and eating irregularly.

@62 - The child is 5. They shouldn't need to "exercise [their] a** off hard for hours, 5-6 days a week" in order to reach or maintain a healthy weight. What, is the kid supposed to go lift some weights at her local gym? She should certainly be out playing, but she should also be consuming fruits & vegetables and other healthy foods likely lacking from her current diet. I don't think the OP ever said "you can only eat greens, ever" nor do we know whether that's the only dietary or lifestyle advice given to the girl and her mother. He "started giving her advice" when he was interrupted by the child. You're very quick to jump at calling him a quack. Please, stfu.

I think doctors tend to follow the "do as I say, not as I do". Sure, if someone was in perfect health and giving out advice, it might be taken with a little more weight (pardon the pun), but just because the doctor isn't in peak physical condition doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Soap box time: A child at that age should not weight that much. It's as simple as that. Make as many excuses as you want, it shouldn't be so. The percentage of the population claiming to have a medical issue stopping them from being within a healthy weight range is far, far greater than the small percentage who actually cannot help it. The input-output ratio rule is for everyone; if your input and output equal each other, your weight will remain the same; if your output is greater than your input, you will lose weight; if your input is greater than your output, you will gain weight. Some circumstances can make it more difficult for others but the ratios don't change. Really.

Whay of the kid is tall? I have always been really tall for my age and probably weighed around there at that age. I wasn't overweight. I wasn't skinny, but I was fine. Besides, soapbox lady, if the Doc feels as though he has the right to give advice about weight and healthy eating habbits, he should follow them. No one, not even doctors, have the right to be hipocritical.

deliciouskaek 1

And this is where you say, "That's right, and you'll look just like me one day if you don't quit it with the cookies, and start eating your broccoli."

so like... doctor patient confidentiality? guess not.

It's not really his fault....but at the same time, I mean, everyone's getting fatter, so it's becoming the norm. What are our kids supposed to think, y'know?

#79: The OP didn't post any specific details, just that there was a 5 year old girl and her mother. No personal information at all. If he had given exact whereabouts/surgery/names/etc. then there may be an issue but to my knowledge saying that 'a thing happened at my work as a doctor involving people' doesn't breach any confidentiality.

greatnt249 0

"so like... doctor patient confidentiality? guess not." Yep, like you'd be able to tell exactly who is being discussed from the "details" given in this FML. If you don't know how the system works, don't post your opinion on it; it's people like you who are responsible for all the frivolous lawsuits in this country.

What a mean bitch! Well, one day she'll get hers! Stupid bitch.