Crisis

By Anonymous - 29/07/2020 23:00

Today, I had a customer throw his purchase at me and demand a refund after I told him that, due to the national change shortage, I couldn't give him his 38 cents. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 376
You deserved it 336

Same thing different taste

Top comments

🙄 I would want my change too, the nerve of some businesses stealing from customers! How about you round down!

While it’s not OP’s fault, I’m betting the change shortage causes the price to effectively always be rounded up and never down so that the business has a net profit from the shortage of coins. Things like that get noticed and do not help the goodwill of customers.

Comments

This change climate is a hoax started by the Chinese! They hoarded our coins to cause this kind of chaos in America. -- Signed PencilAnon (I was going to be PAnon, but it sounds too funny.)

🙄 I would want my change too, the nerve of some businesses stealing from customers! How about you round down!

Ugh I hate that a customer would take their frustration out on you, as if you personally are making the policy they're upset about. Unless are you a Walton?

While it’s not OP’s fault, I’m betting the change shortage causes the price to effectively always be rounded up and never down so that the business has a net profit from the shortage of coins. Things like that get noticed and do not help the goodwill of customers.

Marcella1016 31

Interesting point. Funnily, on the other hand, if stores rounded down people could intentionally pay with cash and underpay to save...wait it would just be a few cents for the customer so they probably wouldn’t be incentivized to do it on purpose. Over time, though, the store could possibly lose a noticeable amount of money as it adds up. Either way, someone has to get the short end of the stick it looks like. But I don’t think it would really break anyone’s bank.

They should round up if it's over 50 cents and down if it's under, similar to the penny rounding in Canada 😛

There's actually a midpoint rounding method called bankers rounding or round-to-even, where you round midpoint numbers so that the next number position always goes to even. So 1.50 and 2.50 would both round to 2.00; 3.50 and 4.50 would both round to 4.00; etc. Over time, assuming no bias in the numbers, they tend to average out so you aren't getting significantly more or less than the unrounded total.

Today my total came to $48.72. I paid $48 in cash and .72 cents on my debit card. It’s petty I know. But that .28 cents is mine. I’d like to keep it.

It's actually illegal for companies to keep someone's money, even during a "coin shortage." That's called stealing. As silly and minute as it sounds to you, think about how that 38 cents per customer will add up over thousands and thousands of customers....the company is making a shit-ton of money by not giving change. I'd be annoyed too and demand my change.

Physical currency is an outdated idea to begin with, it's expensive, spreads virus/bacteria and makes lines take longer at the register. We should gradually phase it out by charging people a little extra for making society deal with such a hassle.

HistoryHasEyes 19

To charge a different price if someone is paying in cash is actually illegal in a lot of places.

crashtestdumplin 16

Well was there a sign or did you inform them before ringing them up. With something like that you should tell every customer before they start shopping that you are only accepting card payments and/or exact cash/change.