Bunch of cons

By sauce - 24/09/2010 06:33 - United States

Today, after months of looking, my fiancé and I finally signed a lease. We are using my savings to pay for it. This apparently poses a "moral dilemma" for my in-laws, who think we should wait to be married. I'm paying for an apartment I'm not allowed to live in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 593
You deserved it 6 311

Same thing different taste

Top comments

wow ur stupid! why aren't you living there?!? kick him out, you move in, problem solved. quit being a doormat

BoyFromTheFuture 0

Op didn't say anything about religion. he said "moral dilemma". Unless you believe that religious people are the only ones with morals and therefore moral dilemmas. cover up, your prejudice is showing.

Comments

That's BS don't listen to them you are paying for it you can live there don't let them run your life. Who cares what they think.

spartan_girl 0

I would be interested to know how old OP and the fiance are (and more importantly, how financially independent they are)...my (now) husband and I faced a similar situation when we were in college- his parents didn't want us to live together until we were married. Here's the thing- yes, we were adults. We were both over 18, we were in college, we also had jobs- but we also both care about our families. Another issue was that both of our parents still had some financial interest in us- me, not so much, they just paid for my cell phone and my car insurance. My husband, though, didn't have as much saved up, and his parents still paid for some of his tuition, his cell phone, and sent him gift cards for groceries. Sure, we could have taken out more loans, but why be more in debt AND have no family support? It cost us a little more money to live separately, but probably not as much as it would have to be cut off by our parents (or just his parents, I think mine would have been okay with it), but we also still get along well with our families, and that was important to us. /rant OP, I don't know your situation, but if you are the one paying for the place, you should be living there. Maybe your fiance can find a friend to live with or something, so that it's cheaper. I'm all for respecting the wishes of your future in-laws if you feel that it's important, but you shouldn't end up paying for yourself and your fiance if you're in different places.

XbambiX 3

well if u pay for it u get to live in it!! don't listen to ur inlaws!!

If you already signed the lease, you have to pay per lease terms, so you might as well move in. If you can't afford it solo, then find a roommate

Unless you're 14, which I'm gonna guess you're not, how about um...not listening to them? You are ADULTS.

ydi for letting your in laws tell you that you can't live in an apartment that your paying for. tell them to **** off or they can pay for THEIR son to live there

I'd either tell the ILs to stuff it or tell your fiancé to live elsewhere.

ilovetitties 0

ydi for not standing up for yourself, you put yourself in that position. but it's not too late, you could move in if you really wished.