Bunch of cons

By sauce - 24/09/2010 06:33 - United States

Today, after months of looking, my fiancé and I finally signed a lease. We are using my savings to pay for it. This apparently poses a "moral dilemma" for my in-laws, who think we should wait to be married. I'm paying for an apartment I'm not allowed to live in. FML
I agree, your life sucks 28 593
You deserved it 6 311

Same thing different taste

Top comments

wow ur stupid! why aren't you living there?!? kick him out, you move in, problem solved. quit being a doormat

BoyFromTheFuture 0

Op didn't say anything about religion. he said "moral dilemma". Unless you believe that religious people are the only ones with morals and therefore moral dilemmas. cover up, your prejudice is showing.

Comments

rwctkd95 0

3 I agree! as long as everybody believe in god all religon should be one. cause there is one god.

Schizomaniac 24

Dawkins takes evolution too far.

RedPillSucks 31

sigh!!!! Evolution and religion are not in conflict. Science and religion deal with different questions. There's nothing in the bible that says how old Earth is. That's just a bunch of bible "scholars" trying to guess their way around the gaps in the Bible, Torah, Quran, whatever.

Schizomaniac 24

Point out where I said science and evolution were in conflict.

Schizomaniac 24

Once again, I'm totally in agreement with RPS here. Fundies like to "forget" that the Penteteuch was written down many generations after most of the events took place, and that it was based on Hebrew folklore, in the form of poetry.

RedPillSucks 31

Schitzomaniac, I agree that you didn't directly go there. I inferred it from the reference to Dawkins. Dawkins is anti religion and uses science as one of his arguments for why people should be athiests.

Schizomaniac 24

I am in agreement as well, but I was hostile because his comment was in response to mine and wrongly so, because what he said was not in opposition to my statement.

Schizomaniac 24

RedPillSucks, ah, then we are indeed on the same page.

Schizomaniac 24

Ahaha, pendatik. This is nothing compared to what it could have been.

Schizomaniac 24

I completely agree. What I meant about 'taking evolution too far' was that, from what I have seen, Dawkins tries to stretch it out. What I mean by that is that he tries to use it to explain every aspect of human behavior. I watched an interview about a year ago in which he claimed that human desire to help others stems from earlier organisms accidentally helping organisms that they thought were their own, or something to that effect. I don't buy that.

Schizomaniac 24

Wow. Freaking comment bug. That seriously sucks. I'll PM you later.

Flutist 3

Religion and science both aim to explain the same things, why things work and perhaps why we came here. I have no idea why people have to get defensive and fearful of the other. Why would you want to believe you were the only person in the universe? Or that there is nothing after death? And why, as a christian, or other religious person, would you want to believe that God wasn't so awesome that he didn't create the universe to run on its own in a way that is both a miracle and a mystery to solve? Perhaps science is god's way of letting us get closer to understanding his mindset.

nigka_please 0

Just go on with your life, if you payed for it you deserve to live in your own house.

perdix 29

There's no moral dilemma here -- you are clearly violating your fiancé's parents' rules (They're not in-laws until you get married). Don't give us your pretentious bullshit about this being a "dilemma," you are merely ******! That's why this site is **** My Life.com, when you get a genuine dilemma, take it to DilemmaMyLife.com. You may have to invent it before you can write to it.

The fiancé's parents shouldn't be making rules in the first place. They may frown upon it and voice their opinions, but they shouldn't attempt to enforce control over the couple. It's something my stepdad would pull. -.-

perdix 29

There is no such site as DilemmasMyLife.com -- no one would go there anyways! lajanay, what if the OP and her fiance are 14-year-olds?

Perdix, I highly doubt they're 14. XP. He/she (it never did specify on my iPhone) has enough money in their savings account for the place so he/she must have a job of some kind. Oh, and you can't sign a lease unless you're at least 18. :)

Schizomaniac 24

Moderation on perdix? This is madness. Madness? THIS IS..eh, screw it.

perdix 29

The rules say you can't mention copycat websites. In my comment that was obliterated, I suggested the OP take their dilemma to a non-existent site, but I guess those are not allowed either.

Schizomaniac 24

Well that is completely reasonable. I can see the logic behind that, can't you?

Yeahh, the moderation was dumb. So, can we tell people about My Life is Average? is that a copycat website??

Uhh... here a thing. Why don't the two of you just not give a ****? If you both planned to buy a house together, just do it. They don't run your lives. You signed the lease, it's YOUR house. And they're inlaws when you're married.

Technically, they're renting, not buying. But you're right about the rest of it. For now, they're not in-laws; they're sin-laws. :D

so? if you're old enough to move out and have a fiance, you're obviously old enough to not listen to your in laws. and so is your fiancé.

mintcar 9

You're an adult. You can do whatever the **** you want.

I don't see how this is a FML. That is their opinion. If your fiancée's parents have the problem and are making the problems your fiancées then let him move back in with them til you are married. Then you have the place all to yourself. ;-)

typical religious-hoopla-parents.. this is bs cus evntho ur ultimately gett'n married thy cnt shut-up/butt-out of ur business.. howevr statisically, betrothed couples tht live w/eachothr b4 thy marry end up cancelling weddings/h8 eachothr in da end of it all.. bt FCUK STATISTICS! lol & good luck OP.

#36 Agreed. If OP and her fiance don't stand up to them now, the parents will assume that they can always control them. Although in some cases it's a good idea to metaphorically "throw them a bone" by occasionally giving into their small wishes, I think in this case it's such a big issue that OP and her fiance should stand up to the parents and calmly (but firmly) let them know that they're adults and can make their own choices.