Been there, done that

By hlewrn - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - United States - Centreville

Today, I broke up with my girlfriend for another girl. This other girl helped me break up with her so we could date. After it was all done, she promptly rejected me and in front of everyone, saying how much of a douche I was for leaving my girlfriend for another girl. FML
I agree, your life sucks 8 112
You deserved it 34 807

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You two would have been perfect for each other; you both sound like douche-waffles.

Not gonna lie, you should never break up with one person for another. Reason? Because even if she did start dating you she would always suspect you of planning to break up with her. Sorry that she made you out to be an asshole but really...you should have just broken up with your gf on your own and just waited a little while before going for that other girl.

Comments

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
hellobobismyname 24

The fact that he let feelings for somebody else develop before breaking up with his gf makes it seem like he was leading his girl on until something better came along. Of course there are exceptions to this, but not only did he dump his girl for somebody else (which already hurts more than necessary), to add insult to injury, he employed the help of this new girl to do his dirty work! What a coward. Already such a hurtful breakup for his ex.. Imagine the new potential partner of someone you love being involved in such a personal matter. That alone makes him a douche.

Breaking up with someone before going out with someone else is honorable. Having that someone else "help you break up" with the first person is...less so.

#17, ahh yes because everyone has the ability to control their feelings for someone. It's not like love at first sight is a really thing which can occur, even while in a relationship. I know this may be hard to believe, but the normal people (aka not you) can't just turn off their feelings for others, even new ones that develop, once in a relationship.

I think he is just young and childish, so judging him by adult relationship standards is a bit unfair.

hellobobismyname 24

#21 - Did I not say there are exceptions to the situation? I personally don't believe in love at first sight but I never mentioned it in my original comment. I didn't say anyone could control their emotions, but in order to fall for someone else and then promptly break up with your partner means (not always, but a lot of the time) that your relationship wasn't working out for a while and you had obviously stopped loving that person. That is the best time to cut ties with that person, not when you have already found the replacement. But that wasn't even my point. My point was this guy involved someone else in the break up, and not just anyone else, but the replacement girl! Do you not see my point? It is a million times worse than just having a guy break up with you! Not only is she being dumped for someone else, but a break up is supposed to be private and he made it incredibly hurtful and humiliating by involving that other girl. I don't know how I'm 'not normal' because I think this makes him a douche, but thanks for trying to insult me. Lol

#21 it has nothing to do with feelings and everything to do with actions. No one said he should turn his feelings off or ignore them, so stop bashing 17. It is incredibly disrespectful and immature to use the new person OP had feelings for to end a relationship that he was currently in. If he was mature enough to be in a relationship with the first girl he should have ended it respectfully and with her feelings in mind as well, not just thinking about this new girl that supposedly likes him. Whether or not someone can help their feelings is not an excuse to act however the **** they want and it doesn't excuse them from the consequences of their actions

Yeah that's an amazingly douchbag thing to do. YDI

in my experience its perfectly normal for girls to have a new boyfriends about 5 days after they break up with their current boyfriend. if i take a look at my female friends and their breakups this is almost always the case. i've even been such a new bf and i've also lost girls to such new boyfriends. honestly if you no longer want to be with your current SO wether thats because you met somebody knew you're crushing on or wether you're just not feeling it anymore doesn't matter. staying with someone you'd be ready to leave but don't because you don't have anything better is worse in my opinion. this is the first time i've ever witnessed someone being chewed out for this but of course this time its a man leaving his gf not the other way round.

#31 You obviously don't get the point, which a few people seemed to be be confuse by. He is not a douche because he left his gf for another girl. Although there were probably signs that their relationship wasn't right and if he led her on waiting for a replacement, that isn't right. The biggest reason he's a jerk though, he already had another girl, and instead of privately breaking up with his gf, he instead not only got someone else to do it, but employed the girl he was leaving his gf for to break with her. Do you not see how this is a dick move? Also, I don't know what girls you know, but not a lot of them, I'm willing to bet the majority, have a new bf after 5 days. And still, even then, there's a difference between breaking up with someone and starting a new relationship early after, and actually leaving your current SO for someone else. I think people should stop trying to justify this, no matter what way you spin it, the OP is still a jerk.

I have no idea why everyone thinks OP is a douchebag. He wasn't happy with his current GF so he tried it with someone who made him happier. It's not like he cheated.

The fact that you posted this thinking you were going to get pity just shock me lol You deserve that

I hope you're not looking for the sympathy vote.

The girls planned that, there is no way they didn't.

a possibility but a very heavy accusation if there are no clear indications

So let's say you did date her OP. Your relationship would not last. Always in the back of her mind she'll be thinking "Is he going to leave me for another girl?" I mean can you blame her? You did it once before who's to say you won't do it again?

I wanna know how much your ex is enjoying this :D

Maybe it's time to be single for a little bit and focus on other things like your schoolwork and whatnot? Your readiness to chop and change between girlfriends kinda suggests you have more to learn about being in a relationship.

hoosiergirl94 31

As if none of you have ever felt feelings for someone else when your relationship is failing. It's natural for us to seek love and attention. But it was wrong for him to act on those feelings. His ex should feel lucky she's not with him anymore, she deserves better.