Bad boys, bad boys, what ya gonna do?

By Joel Lee Burgess - 15/02/2021 22:59 - United States

Today, my wife got a call from my son's school, telling her that he was talking inappropriately in class, using bad language. Neither my wife or I ever use foul language, spoken or written. I feel like such a failure as father and parent. FML
I agree, your life sucks 722
You deserved it 353

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Xatraris 38

Other kids at school use that language too. He picked it up from them and probably started to say it to look cool. It's not your fault

coius 23

Other than the notion to some it’s disrespectful, I never quite understood why people are so offended at some words. It’s all used throughout society and our lifetimes. Who cares when it comes to expressing emotion with a word some think are unsavory. It’s a ******* word. It’s not going to hurt you. I cuss all the time, and do it especially pronounced in front of kids and parents. Words aren’t going to hurt you. The large sledgehammer you drop on your toes does more damage to you than a neighbor being woken up by a loud expletive as FFFUUUUUCCCCCCKKKK!!!!! Is heard through the city street. What suffered more damage. Your goddamned foot, or the shitty neighbors you have to live around. Be an adult, grow the **** up and stop pretending a word is going to cause irreparable damage. I can be extremely offensive to someone and not drop one expletive during the entire beratement of your character. Watch: I hope a dead fetus is shoved into your oral and posterior cavity time and time again, while you watch as a bunch of political extremists genocide your particular race all while you be masticated and deprived of oxygen. I imagine the lifeless eyes you beam show your fear of death, all while staring into the abyss realizing that pretty soon you will take your last breath, but not before your own next generational unit is left to pass in a ditch unnoticed. (This is not a real threat, but just an example of how offense can be caused and not utter one expletive. I wish you a happy long life free of bullshit and a better perspective of the world with many wonderful prosperity to you and your entire family) Sit back and take life easy. Only worry about the important things in life. Your son is safe, your family is safe. What more could you ask for? A word isn’t going to harm you.

Comments

Teacher here. This is totally developmentally normal. Your kids probably heard the words at school and because you and your wife don't use them they likely wanted to use them more. It's better not to shame kids for using bad language that just makes it more "cool" instead explain that those words are just words but they're not appropriate in certain settings because they make people uncomfortable. You are absolutely not a failure as a parent this is a totally normal thing that kids do. It might take them some time to learn (as they likely get social reinforcement from their friends) a swear jar can be really effective. If this is really excessive in school, maybe talk to their teacher about what else is going on. It could be that they're trying to stand out/be the class clown. To be honest, as a teacher I wouldn't call home unless it was an every day disruptive thing, but some teachers are way more strict.

Don't blame yourself or beat yourself up over it, kids will learn much more from other kids on the school grounds then they will in the classroom or at home, and often times what they're learning isn't very polite

Nhayaa 21

Did anyone watch Netflix's "History of swear words" hosted by Nicholas Cage? Loved it. And it says it's healthy to curse so...

LeahMichelle 6

It's what kids do unfortunately. Talk to them, set chores, bounderies and quality time and hopefully they'll understand and turn into respect members of the world