Asshats everywhere

By Anonymous - 08/12/2017 15:00

Today, while driving to work, an idiot pulled out of a junction without looking and wiped me out. I'm now in hospital with two broken legs, looking at employment pages because I didn't give work "enough notice" about my absence. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 340
You deserved it 244

Same thing different taste

Top comments

They can't legally fire you for that. Sue them if they really try to fire you over that

pharoh239 2

Sue them for wrongful termination and maybe you won't have to work again.

Comments

They can't legally fire you for that. Sue them if they really try to fire you over that

Koios 30

Not true if they work in a "Right to work" state.

Even in a Right to Work state they cannot fire you over something like that.

Right to Work has nothing whatsoever to do with what you can be fired for. Just means you can’t be forced to pay union dues if you object, even if the work site is otherwise unionized. I THINK you mean an “at-will” state, which almost all states are. However, even there, you’re wrong. *Federal* law prohibits disciplinary action against an incapacitated employee, so state policy doesn’t even matter.

I am not an attorney, but to my knowledge, there is no federal law that says you cannot be terminated for failing to show up to work because you were injured and did not provide notice from before you were injured. You cannot be fired based on protected status, such as race, religion, political affiliation or gender, for refusing to break the law, reporting breaches of law, or reporting regulatory violations. If you are discriminated against at work, you can't be fired for complaining about it, and you can't be fired for exercising a legal right, like voting, or family medical leave. You can be fired for no or any other reason, as far as I know. However, you are right - Right To Work states are ones where you cannot be forced to join a union or pay dues. I was thinking of at-will employment, which is not the same thing. There go my clever plays on words. Thanks for correcting me.

The Americans with Disabilities Act requires “reasonable accommodation” for a disabled employee. I’m not a lawyer either but I think a pretty strong argument can be made that “not firing me for being unable to call in due to injury” is a reasonable accommodation. FMLA also has a “unusual circumstances” exception to its notice requirements. If the employer exercised a default-termination policy for a no-call/no-show, they may not have done anything wrong. However, OP is probably entitled to their job back. Attempting to enforce the termination after learning of the sudden disabling injury is slimy and probably illegal under either ADA or FMLA.

pharoh239 2

Sue them for wrongful termination and maybe you won't have to work again.

exileonmainst 16

Should I set up a GoFundMe for your funeral?

HaHaHaHa the Post from yesterday HaHaHa seriously like THiS comment jus made me LAUGH sooo much harder then it really should have hahaha ×♡×♡× :)

onceuponatime456 16

Were you born an immature idiot or did it take a lot of work to get that way?

exileonmainst 16

I mean, aren’t everyone technically born immature idiots? Babies are by definition immature and they aren’t that smart. Why do you ask?

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
glitterhell 5

Why does this comment have so many dislikes? They were obviously joking

RichardPencil gets a bad rap around here, but I'm pretty sure he's always joking. I guess a lot of users just don't get it!

stake your old job to court legally that can't fire you because of that reason

I can already see the unlawful termination lawsuit.

I wish You could name the company, so I could never do business with them.

Sorry to hear that OP. Just more proof that bosses are like diapers. On your ass and full of shit. Good luck

bsshooter 14
boopingsnoot 24

Not in "Right To Work" states here in the U.S.

False. Federal law prohibits firings of this sort. Also, right to work doesn’t have anything to do with if you can be fired or not. I think you mean “at will states”, which is a different thing. Right to work relates to whether a union can collect dues from you if you don’t want to pay them.