A Tale of Two Nutritionists

By Christin Deason - 08/09/2019 22:00

Today, a friend criticized my detox method, calling it "unhealthy and unsafe." Recently, she made a post bragging about her dieting method, which is also very unhealthy and unsafe. I told her she was being a hypocrite. She unfriended and blocked me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 326
You deserved it 395

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Just curious, but what are your and her ways of detoxing?

What are you trying to detox from? Unless you are fighting some specific form of substance addiction, "detoxing" is just a scam designed to sell you some expensive short-term (or even long-term) diet plan. Your liver and kidneys are all you need to detox your body. Just adopt a healthy diet and exercise routine, lay off the junk food, and forget the crazy "detox" nonsense.

Comments

Just curious, but what are your and her ways of detoxing?

Doesn't matter; food-based detox regimens (ie, fads) for the intestines are all unhealthy, unsafe, and unwarranted. :-( If you have a health issue, the see your medical doctor.

Christin Deason 11

Well, I was fasting for a few days to break what I considered an addiction to sugar. It ended up working, so that's nice. That so-called "friend," on the other hand, was using it as a method to lose weight.

I would agree that fasting to lose weight is a bad idea. The human body has evolved to survive famine, so the first thing that's going to happen once you go off a fast is your metabolism will drop and everything you eat will be stored as fat and you'll end up right where you started of not worse. Better to watch total calories and exercise. There are no shortcuts to weight loss. I'm glad your fast succeeded for what you needed. I don't expect your former friend will be as lucky.

What are you trying to detox from? Unless you are fighting some specific form of substance addiction, "detoxing" is just a scam designed to sell you some expensive short-term (or even long-term) diet plan. Your liver and kidneys are all you need to detox your body. Just adopt a healthy diet and exercise routine, lay off the junk food, and forget the crazy "detox" nonsense.

Christin Deason 11

I was detoxing to break what I considered an addiction to sugar. It ended up working, so that's the good thing.

Fair enough, but I would not consider a fast the same as a detox. When I hear "detox", I think of some expensive program of voodoo supplements that promises to cleanse your body of toxins and transform you almost overnight. A fast of a couple of days is probably fine, as long as you stay hydrated. You should definitely consult with a doctor before doing it, though.

darkenedone 27

INFO... By 'detox method's do you mean quitting a substance abuse problem or do you mean some hippy dippy BS, used by people who do not know what livers and kidneys do? Also, were you being an asshole about it, or just pointing it out like a reasonable person? This post could describe so many different scenarios....

Christin Deason 11

No, I was fasting for a few days to break what I considered to be an addiction to sugar. It ended up working, so that's the nice thing. That so-called "friend" called me stupid for it, but then decided that fasting would be good for dieting, (read: losing weight), which it isn't.

Crazy people don't like it when you point out that they're crazy, even if you're just as crazy as they are. Note to both of you: Stop with all these useless diet and detox fads, and stick to a well-balanced selection of foods, avoiding over-indulgence. Oh, and brush your teeth twice a day.

Oh, this should be good. What kind of detox or diet are we talking about?

Sounds like her friend's version of friendship/ "self-confidence" is "unhealthy and unsafe." OP, you're so much better off not having toxic friendships like that. However, the average person doesn't need to subject one's self to a specialized detox program - unless it's for alcohol, drugs, or smoking. The liver, kidneys, and intestines of us mammals have been doing just fine after millions of years (incl. pre-historic animal life) thanks to evolution.

Good riddance. Nothing more to say to that if she unfriends you merely for that.

Maybe you two should just meat for a proper lunch, you'll be nicer to each other with your bellies full. Then throw out those weird diets, we're human, we have to eat, it's supposed to bring us pleasure instead of more anxiety and deprivation.

Then she was really never your friend no big loss