You big child

By Immature - 10/01/2021 05:01 - United States

Today, my girlfriend of six years burst into tears and said yes repeatedly when I presented her with a ring. I then had to explain that it was a promise ring, not an engagement ring. She looked me in the eye and dumped me on the spot. Apparently, promise rings are for teenagers, not couples in their thirties. FML
I agree, your life sucks 733
You deserved it 14 093

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I agree with her. Once you have graduated college you are too old to give someone a promise ring. By the time you are thirty you should be settled and really ready to start life, if not already. Her biological clock is ticking.

It took you six years to give a ring, but the ring was not an engagement ring? I would think that would piss off most women. If you are not ready to get engaged, you should have, when you realized she thought it was an engagement ring, was go with the flow and become engaged, as it was very obvious she had been waiting for it for a long time.

Comments

I agree with her. Once you have graduated college you are too old to give someone a promise ring. By the time you are thirty you should be settled and really ready to start life, if not already. Her biological clock is ticking.

Even if it's not--my biological clock never ticked--she doesn't want a promise ring that means squat.

I have to agree with her, but I wouldn't have dumped someone for giving me a ring!

It took you six years to give a ring, but the ring was not an engagement ring? I would think that would piss off most women. If you are not ready to get engaged, you should have, when you realized she thought it was an engagement ring, was go with the flow and become engaged, as it was very obvious she had been waiting for it for a long time.

theyellowgoose 3

wow... 6 years and a promise ring?? what's the point of a promise ring anyways? at least she was smart enough to dump you. realized she needs someone willing to actually commit.

It_gets_better 19

Really the point of a promise ring is "this relationship is serious enough to get engaged, but we aren't at a financial stage of life to do that yet." At least in my opinion.

They can get engaged and have a long engagement or they can discuss how they'll afford a wedding and life together as a married couple.

dragonfly08330 10

6 years and she gets a promise ring!? dude, no. smh

It took you SIX years to get her a promise ring?! That poor girl for sticking it all this time for so little.

Demitrius 12

I just wonder how you thought it would be affected? Would love to hear your reasoning...

Yummi_913 18

After 6 years you either want her or you don't. You seem to think there's the third option of stringing her along for years and years of her life (and biological clock) in the hopes of a "maybe someday". That's so disrespectful and inconsiderate. Honestly, is she a joke to you or what?

Unless you're writing this from the hospital you may still consider yourself lucky.

tounces7 27