Torn

By VaveJessop - 05/05/2020 20:00

Today, my 19-year-old best friend decided she's going to elope with her 30-year-old, alcoholic boyfriend, who she's only been dating for 5 months. She wants me to go with her and be her maid of honor. She says she'll never speak to me again if I don't support her terrible decision. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 838
You deserved it 146

Same thing different taste

Top comments

bl3ur0z3 17

I've been there and I've supported the terrible idea, making my concerns known, and I was still there when it fell apart. You can't stop her from doing what she'll do, but if you care about her you'll remain in a position to be there when she needs you.

tounces7 27

I think it may be worth asking yourself if this friendship is worth that much in light of the fact she's clearly an idiot.

Comments

bl3ur0z3 17

I've been there and I've supported the terrible idea, making my concerns known, and I was still there when it fell apart. You can't stop her from doing what she'll do, but if you care about her you'll remain in a position to be there when she needs you.

There’s perks you are not considering, free acces to booze for 2 years with no hassle. Or are you just jealous she’s getting married before you?

Cut her loose. She's going to be no fun once she's married to a drunk. And isn't that what friends are really useful for?

lifeis4me 20

I’m in the same position as you with an immature friend the same age, except for her trashy boyfriends never stay long enough to actually commit. She’s going to continue to make dumb decisions like this until she grows up. The best thing to do is to just let her know you think it’s a bad idea, but just accept that this is the kind of person she is.

tounces7 27

I think it may be worth asking yourself if this friendship is worth that much in light of the fact she's clearly an idiot.

Length of dating is irrelevant as well as age. I'm assuming he treats her like shit? And is he getting help for his alcoholism? If he treats her like shit and isn't getting help, tell her "I love you and can't honor this .." and tell her why. IF he's treating her right and getting help, be her maid of honor.

Jillian Cosby-Kelly 15

why does this even have a down vote? perfect answer!

Also promise to be there for her if it goes totally sideways, as long as she accepts you're going to be completely honest with her.

tee19xx 3

Just be there for her when it falls apart .. her dumbass is blinded ❤️

Jillian Cosby-Kelly 15

they say washing your hands of toxins is good for you, keep the rona away.

Yeah, better hold her to that promise of never speaking to you again 'cuz you don't need that drama ESP. once it all goes to hell.