By nonexistant - 02/10/2009 19:32 - Canada

Today, while I was at a business supply store, I decided to get my old paper birth certificate laminated so it wouldn't deteriorate further. The people working decided to wait until after it was done and I had paid to tell me that laminating a birth certificate voids it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 35 482
You deserved it 9 070

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Julle_fml 0

Doesnt is say that right on there? I know social security cards say DO NOT LAMINATE on them.

Comments

uhm just get another onee. boohoo. so maybe you'll have to pay some money. it's not the end of the worlddd.

It says right on the back of Ontario birth certificates "void if laminated" ever think of turning it over?

Okay, well, now your original is laminated, so it won't deteriorate. Just buy a replacement and move on.

So if your birth certificate is null and void, do you suddenly become a brains-eating zombie, or what? Go rent "It's a Wonderful Life" to see what it's like to never have been born.

So why is it their responsibility to inform you of the validity of your birth certificate? Besides, maybe they thought you just wanted to keep the ancient copy as a souvenir. A quick trip to the county courthouse and fifteen bucks will get you a brand new copy of your birth cert. You can even order them online. Please... work on being smarter.

well technically because they laminated it they committed a crime by altering someone else's id or any id for that matter.. so they should have told him in the beginning before they even started anything..

The employees probably assumed she had a new one, just wanted his original preserved, they couldn't say anything beforehand as that would lose a sale and may get them into trouble with work. Then, to be nice, made sure that she knew that it wouldn't be valid after instead of just sending her off unwise, which may get her in a worse situation than she's in now. (She can just get a new one fairly easily.)

zee209 0

You should have known that. And if the employee's didn't tell you, maybe it's because you were rude or obnoxious. There's two sides to a story, remember. YDI though, since it IS common knowledge that laminating it would void it.

It says right on the birth certificate that it's void if it's laminated. So YDI.

But what the hell... why? :-/ Its just a piece of plastic around a piece of paper. :-/ It should still be visible its a valid one.

I don't know where you're from, but it's the same way in the US. I just checked mine.

I was born in 1983 and the birth certificates issued that year were laminated and credit card sized. I miss mine so much... but then in 1999 I changed my last name to my step fathers last name and had to have the certificate reissued with my new name. It came and was unlaminated and larger than before. T___T

I have two. A laminated card size and a regular ole paper one. It wasnt just early 80s, mine was done in 86