By kdubz23 - 17/02/2014 22:41 - United States - Pittsburgh

Today, the parent of a student called to ask me about a homework assignment. At the end of the call, she told me that I seem to be losing my "Asian accent" from when she first talked to me in the summer. I was born in the US, grew up in NJ and speak perfect English. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 882
You deserved it 3 388

Same thing different taste

Top comments

You should have asked her when did she lose her manners and respect for others.

tazmanmike2013 17

Sorry to hear it OP, some people speak without thinking

Comments

Some people don't understand how in this country we're all descended from immigrants. Not everyone in this country had positive & "diverse" teachers like you maybe. Sorry for his/her ignorance.

Something tells me she either hasn't heard a real "Asian accent" before or she's just an idiot. Sorry OP.

Back in grade 8 my African teacher called my mum and she thought he was a telemarketer and hung up on him.

@15 I've never been to Australia but I'd guess if he was born and raised in Australia that he'd have an Australian accent.

fooltemptress 36

It could be worse. You could be like me and pick up the accents of anyone you're talking to.

My mom does that, it's really awkward to be around because I feel like it comes off as patronizing or mockery.

RedPillSucks 31

I do that too. Quite often without realizing it.

I do the same thing. Then again I watch a lot of BBC shows.

I do the same thing as well. When I have a cold, I've been asked if I'm British because of how I talk.

Doubt you speak perfect English. Perfect American perhaps, but not English.

'American English', 'British English'. Both English.

"American English" - like English but with all the spelling and pronunciation changed.

What about Canadian English and Australian English?

British English is the source of Australian, American, Canadian, Hong Kong etc English. So perfect English is British English.

Please, don't split hairs! British English is indeed "original English" but, i don't understand why it is "perfect" compared to other English. It is just different. I guess you don't speak the same English in London and in Manchester so which one is perfect?

RedPillSucks 31

There is no perfect english. English is a bastardization of french and german and pieces of other languages thrown in. It's been changing for centuries. Nobody speaks english like in the King James bible. If you go to Britain, you will hear all different sorts english accents (Scottish, Irish, Welsh, etc.) Obviously none of these are "perfect" english either (Ok. Perhaps the Scots).

I'm not even sure I know what perfect English is anymore. It is rarely used in every day communication e.g. text messages or Twitter.

arandomusernameaa 20

The only people who 'txt' like that are prepubescent teens who think they are amazing. No real person talks like that anymore :)

lightanddark 17

everyone has a bit of accent, so even if you speak "perfect English", you're bound to have some sort of accent. don't sweat it

mrlopez 13

Had that happen to me before. Everybody told me to 'stop acting' when I had traces of the western accent. I was born in Asia but been in the 'States since I was a teen. Embracing foreign cultures can be exciting but somehow, my local hometown doesn't seem to think so.