By timv94 - 24/07/2014 01:34 - United States - Lexington

Today, the fire alarm went off at work. My office is on the second floor, and the door to the stairs were jammed shut. The only way out was jumping out the window. The best part was breaking my leg due to someone burning their lunch. FML
I agree, your life sucks 47 122
You deserved it 8 606

timv94 tells us more.

timv94 4

I'm the only person on the second floor. We have HIGHLY explosive chemicals in the labs on the first floor. I'd rather have a broken leg than blow up and die.

Top comments

Goblin182 26

I think I would have made sure there was clear and present danger before jumping out of a second floor window.

Comments

did everyone on your floor jumped, or you were the only one dumb enough to do that

I'm so sorry OP! That sucks! You know what you should do now? Put a tack on your coworkers chair! That'll show them!

fucMyLifeSoHard 18

it's not like OP's co-worker purposely burnt their food so OP would jump out a window and break their leg.

mrwilsong 6

Wow I bet you can't stand that person now

doraaa01 7

I'm surprised no one has made a comment about the stairs... It's actually a violation for the fire exits to be blocked. So even though OP panicked and didn't check the danger levels etc they can actually sue or do something because the door to the stairs was jammed ! That and the company should pay for the medical and give compo to OP. Well in Australia that's what would happen, I'd hope it's the same in America

Yes that would qualify in america as well

RedPillSucks 31

Definitely a violation, even in the US. The company health insurance will pay for you hospitalization, but if you don't have health insurance through the company, they might not pay unless you threaten to bring a complaint about the exits being blocked.

It's definitely a violation in most of north america. The only question is whether or not the company goes into fortress/defense mode instead of doing the right thing and taking care of the bills. OP will get compensated at some point. Assuming OP doesn't get fed up and give up along the way. A hint. That's what a lot of insurance companies try to make you do.

#85 Even if the company goes into defense mode the OP can still sue them for having a saftey violation with the doors being jammed, considering OP was on the second floor and unsure of the fire's conditions in a state of panic for his/her life, the judge will definitely rule in favor of OP and the company will have to pay for any medical bills.

pjsmamasan 10

I was totally thinking the same thing

You could just have not jumped or waited until you saw actual flames, some people

That sounds awful but come on. You shouldn't jump out a window until you see fire. Use common since and see if you can wait for fire fighters to put out a net or come in and unjam the door. Completely understand panicking but you have got to keep calm and use your head in those situations.

Whelp, you have an awesome lawsuit pending. Your points of emergency egress were blocked. Hope your company has good lawyers.

8313girl 28

A lawsuit and he also deserves to get workman's comp because he got hurt on the job. But we definitely need a follow up to see what your coworkers did when they heard the alarm

skittyskatbrat 19

#22... probably grabbed their phones or cameras and ran to see what the office idiot did next... BBL, gotta see if this made it onto youtube!!!

imagineapc 11

Workman's comp will cover his injuries and expenses of such. He could choose to sue the company, but for what? The fire alarms functioned as they were supposed to - the office was alerted that there was smoke. He probably wouldn't have a job anymore if he sued, either.

kingdomgirl94 29

Suing for the doors not being functional and effectively trapping everyone on the second floor.

Did anyone else try to jump out the window or just you? And why is there only one fire exit? You sound like one of those people who would run around in circles screaming your head off in an emergency only to run into a door and knock yourself unconscious.

Perhaps. It just seems fishy that there wouldn't be more then one fire exit. Make a conscious effort to look for fire exits in some random building next time you go out, and you'll notice there are a lot of exits.

You deserved it. U don't jump out unless you know you have to.

How did everyone else get out? Calmly wait by the window for the fire department because they did not yet see flames?

skittyskatbrat 19

flames, heat, heavy smoke...any indication that there really was some sort of actual fire....