By Someone - 16/04/2014 00:20 - Canada - Windsor

Today, our family went to a water park. The park's mascot came up to greet us, and my daughter got scared. She then refused to go inside, so we had no choice but to leave. FML
I agree, your life sucks 39 045
You deserved it 5 818

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's when you drag her in so the other members of your family days aren't ruined...

mimiminx 23

YDI. No one should let small children dictate to them.

Comments

Now I'm curious as to what the mascot was that it was so scary.

You did have a choice though. Don't let a kids tantrum dictate what the whole family does. Yeah, she was scared, but probably for like five minutes. She missed out on lots of fun because you decided to leave.

make her go inside or just have her wait inside the car :)

catkat1988 17

#14 - make her wait in the car? You're seriously suggesting leaving a child young enough to be scared of a mascot (probably 2-4 years old) alone in a car for hours? This is not a rebelliuos teenager who decided water parks are beneath them - it's a scared child. I suggest diverting the child's attention for a little while, possibly with an ice-cream if this is a day of fun an quality family time anyway (I wouldn't normally suggest teaching a child that problems and negative emotions are solved by eating ice-cream), and once she's happy, let her know that you're going in for all the fun water-stuff now. Don't bargain with a screaming and scared child - pointing out all the fun that can be had while the kid feels like that only serves to have the child associate said fun with the scary mascot. Comfort the kid, divert her attention, then try the water park again, and keep away from the mascot. And don't let a tantrum from a child dictate the family program of an entire day.

#14, do you have sarcasm in Denmark? You'd be a great American though, rewarding fear with ice cream and sweets.

#27. You don't reward bad behaviour, you ignore it.

Congratulations OP, you're raising your kid to be a little bitch!

Maybe should go for ice cream instead! :)

No one should be going for icecream or to a waterpark in this weather. I don't think any waterparks are even open yet.

you should have deftly mentioned that if you didn't swim the mascot would follow you home

Congratulations OP, you're raising your kid to be a little bitch.

mascots are scary. Just ask her to stay behind you.

octinate 17

Yeah everyone says "just take her in anyways" but I'd bet they would be the first to complain when the child's tantrum lasts the entire day like my child's would. We'd soon start hearing "can't that lady shut her child up" etc

TheDrifter 23

Tell them the scary mascot is outside so you have to go in. Worked on my nieces and nephews. But if your child's tantrums last all day I'd suggest trying new ways to teach them self control (while they're not having a tantrum). All day tantrums suggest that they see more benefit in misbehaving than in eventually calming down.

badmandilon 19

That's why this society is in decadence, parents do what kids want instead of the other way around. Discipline is necessary and it doesn't need to come in a violent way, most of times being consistent and firm is enough for kids to learn how to behave.

Apparently not everyone loooooves Marineland! ... Wow that was really Canadian.