By gatewayev700 - 26/02/2015 16:18 - United States - Reading

Today, my mom told me she'd canceled my spring break trip to Europe for my 16th birthday. Why? So I could get my wisdom teeth pulled 2 months early. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 107
You deserved it 5 271

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Wtf? Sorry but that's not the reason why she cancelled it. She's hiding something because quite clearly that's not the real reason. I hope you can get things sorted out. GL OP

Comments

She just wants to save you the trouble of visiting that craphole.

catanita 18

Watch your language. Nobody said anything bad about your country.

YDI for sounding like a spoiled brat. I cannot get my wisdom teeth removed because I am completely broke. Suck it up, you don't need a trip to Europe - you need your wisdoms removed.

Frankly, you have no reason not to get them done when it won't interfere with school if that is an option. Canceling your trip for an earlier extraction means your recovery should be over before the break ends and you won't miss any school. Believe me, if it's surgical removal, you wouldn't be in any condition to attend class, and the swelling can be embarrassing. She's done you a favour in the long run.

I had a surgical removal of all four of my wisdom teeth at once and was able to go to work as a cashier the next day. The swelling was minimal and I just popped a couple Tylenol for what pain there was. If you have a good orthodontist than there should be no reason you can't go to school after having your teeth out. The only exception being that they might get a pass at gym. I say this based not only on my work experience but on the knowledge that all of my friends got their wisdom teeth out during the school year in high school and not one of them missed school because of it. Though one did miss the first half of school on the day of her procedure but arrive shortly after lunch for the last half of the day.

I responded to two comments both making the same claim that the OP would wind up missing school for getting her teeth out and that's why mom may have cancelled the trip. Which, if that was mom's reasoning, is just plain idiotic. It's not as though I repeated myself on every comment on the page. That's how talking to people works, even in comments. You may wind up repeating yourself because something said to one person may not have been heard/read by another. On top of that most commonly a Spring Break vacation from school is usually, at max, two weeks long and it can take 6- 8 weeks for the extraction sites to heal, it's pretty false to say that the OP would be done recovering by the time she goes back. Even if the OP goes to a "Year-round" school she would still only be out for about a month gap before having to go back which still isn't enough time to be all healed. That's not even addressing that it can still take months for the holes to actually completely fill in requiring you to continue spraying them out with a syringe to avoid having food trapped in them.

87, I assume since you mention orthodontist instead of oral surgeon you had braces previously? You may have had a much easier surgery than most. Was there a need to shatter your wisdom teeth in order to remove them? Were they impacted? Two of mine were driving out molars, one was coming in sideways. I had bruises on my jaw for a week that were really bad, looked green. The swelling was pretty bad too, but the worst part was how painful moving my jaw was.

I have never had braces despite having been advised to get them but my wisdom teeth removal was done by an orthodontist/oral surgeon so I just defaulted to the first term. Both of my bottom wisdom teeth were impacted and my top right one was coming in sideways and pushing through the back of my gums. I can thankfully say I've never been unfortunate enough to have to have a tooth shattered to remove it. I just got my gums really sliced up and a part of my cheek sewed to the left side. My face was horribly swollen the first day, mildly swollen the next, but had gone down the third day.

My over all point was simply that bruises and pain do not stop the ability to learn and study and listen to a teacher speak. If they did than I wouldn't have had to push my friend around school in a wheelchair for several weeks after she severely broke her leg. Therefore, short of an insane infection or actually having your jaw wired shut, there is no reason to not attend school after having your wisdom teeth out. Swelling is embarrassing but embarrassment is life. So either way the logic that the OP would have "miss too much school" is flawed. If she's missing school it would likely be by choice to avoid embarrassment and not be out of necessity. Therefore if the mom cancelled a trip to Europe purely to avoid the OP missing school, and not out of financial need or motherly concern, she's being an idiot or she believes her child to be weak and incapable of functioning when dealing with any kind of pain. I say any kind because as has been pointed out different experiences for different people and some people don't find it painful at all. I found it miserable but not incapacitating.

ForeverJasmine 26

OMG your trip to Europe was cancelled? WHAT?!?! IT WAS FOR YOUR 16TH BIRTHDAY?!!! get over yourself kid. ******* spoiled first class first world problems

Shut up wingeing you little spoilt brat !

wow talk about first world problems... let me cry about a trip that I'm not even paying for..

Sorry, OP. Getting wisdom teeth pulled is already bad enough without the addition of bad timing. But, taking care of wisdom teeth never seems to come at a good time. Maybe your mom is trying to look out for you and save you a bunch of missed school days. Try to find a silver lining in the situation and make plans for something awesome during summer break to make up for it!