By SadBride - 08/09/2015 00:39 - United States

Today, my in-laws decided they were going to stay an extra week during our vacation to Dominican Republic next year. This would be fine, if we weren't travelling for our destination wedding, and the extra week wasn't our honeymoon. They are literally joining us on our honeymoon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 344
You deserved it 2 480

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How about just telling them no? you gotta set the boundaries early on, or they'll just do as they please and never respect you.

Just copulate aggressively and loudly the first night and see if they still want to join you for the next six days.

Comments

This is where you take a stand and say you'd rather if it was just you and your husband for your honeymoon. They should understand, but if not, make it known you don't want to be participating in activities with them.

Definitely let them know you're uncomfortable with it. They may not realize they're overstepping their boundaries, or maybe they just don't care. But maybe if it's not the latter, just emphasizing that it's YOUR honeymoon and having them there would be a major intrusion, would be enough to convince them not to stay. Either way that sucks, as in-laws usually do..

Say something OP. Tell them no, because it's your Honeymoon

Well, I'm sorry to go against the grain, but if someone's inviting me to their destination wedding, I'm going to make it worthwhile by staying a bit after. Most people, I think, would consider doing that! that doesn't mean they're going to hang out with you.

That's what I thought! Unless they're already planning things to do together during that week I'd assume they're just taking advantage of already having travelled somewhere. They could be imagining the couple won't even emerge from their hotel room anyway. At the same time I can see its a bummer.

PANDORUM89 21

I kind of agree with you. I'm being forced to pay extra money than I would for a wedding held in state, so if I want to make it a mini vacation afterwards I should be allowed to. HOWEVER I would let the wedding pair know of my plans and I would either steer clear of them the entire time unless they contacted me or book my vacation time somewhere else around the area. The way the OP worded it makes it sound like the grooms parents were planning to join them and have a "family" time. which is not okay at all. I'd be steaming mad if someone other than my husband came along on our honeymoon.

Staying longer is a fine idea, but the in-laws should come to the island a week before the wedding and have their extra vacation then.

hehe1996 15

Maybe you could speak to your future husband and ask him to have a word with them about boundaries. If his parents want to spend more time on holiday they could always go the week before the wedding so they get two weeks holiday and you and your husband will have the privacy you want on your honeymoon.

I'd just tell them that this time away with their son is very important to you and that you're worried about how things will work out with you both being in the same location. Hopefully they'll be able to reassure you, it doesn't have to be some big drama!

Could be worse ...at least ur getting married ?...I've been in the same relationship for 6 years and all I am is a live in girlfriend...p.s we have kids together and I still can't get a ring

sounds like he doesn't wanna make a full commitment if you ask me....

At 6 years, it's your choice. That's not even relevant to OPs problem.

PANDORUM89 21

would also like to add that he probably sees no reason in giving you a ring since he obviously feels that you aren't going anywhere. He gets everything a married man gets except you can leave without taking half of his things and he doesn't have to pay for a wedding or honeymoon. Seems to me you should've held out on some part to entice him to make that commitment.

ViviMage 38

Sure, you guys get your own hotel away from us and do your own thing. This is our special honeymoon week, *just the two of us.* For the love of Suzio, do not get adjoined rooms/share a wall!

am I the only one who sang *just the two of us* in this comment??

ydi for having a destination wedding in the first place