By Anonymous - 31/01/2016 12:11 - United Kingdom - Pontypool

Today, my grandmother yet again asked where my grandfather is. She refuses to believe us when we tell her that he passed away 6 years ago. She always insists that he's out cheating on her and accuses us of lying to cover his arse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 397
You deserved it 1 553

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm sorry. Dementia is tough for any family. Stay strong, lean on family.

Comments

This sucks to bear. It's hard dealing with it over and over. I've lived with it and watched it in friends and family. All I can say is be the best human you can be every time.

I don't remember what I was going to comment....

This is not ifunny where if you think not having something to say will give you top comment if you have nothing to say don't comment simple as that

CoffeeChickBlows 13

Pretty sure he was making a dementia joke. Or maybe not. There's your chance to dig your way out of that grave, #15. I expect gratitude from you.

gobiteme2 34

# 15 I can sum it up in three words "what an ass"

A very sad situation to be in. I'm wishing you the best op X

I guess she wants to forget that he is dead

If she has dementia just tell her he'll be right back, we did the same with my great grandma because she would always get upset, she wouldn't even remember you telling her he'll be back, it just stops her being temporarily upset

KryssLB 14

This. Can you imagine being told someone you loved was dead, forgetting, wondering where they were, and finding out they were dead, over and over and over again? Even if they don't remember, the people around her will. That sounds like a terrible way to live, for everyone involved. Me, if I end up with dementia, I want my kids to tell me nothing but happy lies. "Where's your Grandma?" "Oh, you're meeting her on Sunday for brunch, remember?" "I never get to go on any nice vacations!" "What do you mean? We go to Mexico every February, remember? And we're leaving for Hawaii next week." I will live in a perpetual state of anticipation of joyful happenings. It will be fantastic.

Exactly! I worked in a nursing home for a while and I was told to do this. If they don't remember that their spouse died they will re-experience the trauma and sorrow every single time you tell them. Just pointless to devastate them over and over again

That's really sad I'm so sorry... Best of luck OP. My grandma died on 12-18-2011 and my grandpa on 12-18-2015. The last year of his life he had sudden onset dementia and Alzheimer's. He would have hallucinations that she was sitting there talking to him. Sometimes I wonder if he was so close to death that she wasn't really a hallucination.

As someone who has watched two loved ones succumb to dementia, I understand how frustrating and difficult this is. Just distract her with things like telling her that he's gone shopping or some other activity that she'd believe, she won't remember after a while.

awww Sorry OP taking care of grandparents is hard and plus understanding the stuff they say. Sometimes we just have to agree with them.

Dig up his body in front of her to prove it.

I'm sorry to say it, but it sounds like your Grandma has Dementia or Alztimers (I know I didn't spell that right). It's not easy to deal with sometimes. My Great-Grandma accused the family of stealing $20,000+ from her. Good luck!