By Anonymous - 12/01/2014 00:03 - United States - Philadelphia

Spicy
Today, my girlfriend told me that she is pregnant. I asked how it could be possible, since she's on birth control. She said she didn't know her antibiotics would interfere with it. She's a pharmacist. FML
I agree, your life sucks 66 108
You deserved it 8 882

Same thing different taste

Top comments

AnOriginalName 19

Just because she's a pharmacist, doesn't means she's a good one.

Or or or she just wanted to get pregnant?

Comments

She knew exactly what she was doing. Antibiotics affecting birth control is common knowledge.

poisongirl708 11

For real I think she planned the shit.

Seeing as though she's a pharmacist, I reckon she did know. Every time I have purchased antibiotics from a chemist, I have been asked whether I'm on birth control. It's got to be one of the most common questions they ask.

It's also on every antibiotic label and birth control box. It's kinda hard to miss. I'm not a pharmacist and I knew that..

I really hope i never have to go to a pharmacy that she works at

YDI for not wrapping up, birth control or not.

kenzierai 8

You do realize that sometimes people get pregnant even with condoms?

Sadly many females do not like condoms at all, and I don't blame them. Though they still are a smart choice in many cases, like if you happen to get intimate with someone that you do not really know. Birth control is usually very effective at preventing pregnancies if used correctly.

True that, the problem is that you have to trust on your partner that she is taking birth control like she says. I don't want to start a fire or anything, but maybe OP's girlfriend colud have done it on purpose, maybe she did because she always wanted a baby but OP didn't wanted to, hell, there some girls out there that are willingly to have a baby only to keep her partner around, I know 2 women that did that. Whatever, long story short, the best way to avoid pregnancy is by using condoms, that is if the man know how to use it PROPERLY.

You realize that there are more types of birth control than condoms and the pill, yes? Many are quite successful at preventing pregnancy, with the same reliability as condoms. Believe it or not, condoms do not work 100% of the time.

The point isn't that condoms are 100% effective, idiots, it's that he put his future in someone else's hands and got screwed over. Good god. If you legitimately think that's a smart thing to do, you're gonna end up in the same situation as him and all the downvotes in the world won't undo it.

Yeah but the fact that he asked "how it was possible" regardless of what else she was taking shows he's not very smart either. It was always possible regardless. I also have to conclude he deserved it.

frizz101 22

Personally I think men should take birth control, it makes more sense to shoot blanks than to fire at a bulletproof vest. And then men can't constantly complain that their girlfriend got pregnant because they (men) didn't do their part to keep from getting their partner pregnant.

I've come across a hell of a lot more men that refuse condoms than women, plus seen it listed as barrier to improving sexual health in pretty much every study I've read on the topic (ranging from urban areas in first world countries to rural areas in the developing world).

frizz101 22

I've noticed that too, men always complaining that "it doesn't feel as good" I say if it gets the job done (ejaculation and pregnancy prevention) then the benefits greatly outweigh the slight change in feel goodness.

You do realize that some monogamous couples choose not to use condoms because the woman is on a pretty reliable form of birth control. How OP's girlfriend missed the fact that antibiotics **** with birth control pills is beyond me. If you're on the pill, you should know this. If you're a pharmacist, you should know this. If you're a pharmacist on the pill, you REALLY should know this. Either she's a total idiot, or she did this on purpose.

you should secretly report her that could be dangerous. congrats on the baby , unless it isn't yours.

emirie 21

Report her to who though? Call the cops, or her parents? I'd love to hear that conversation.

I think reporting it to her employer is a good idea. ”Your pharmacist doesnt even know basic drug interactions, she could kill somebody that way."

Well, at least she has easy access to Plan B

Plan B is suppose to be taken within 72 hours, not when she finds out she's pregnant

How does that help? Plan B prevents pregnancy and she's already pregnant. It doesn't terminate an existing pregnancy either.

Merylwen 24

Well if they really don't want it, there is still something else they can do.

frizz101 22

Only if they want to ruin their relationship forever.

How would that automatically "ruin their relationship forever"?

frizz101 22

Well if the girlfriend wants to keep the baby and is forced to have an abortion or adoption, she will have resentment and regret against OP. And if OP doesn't want the baby and they stay together he will have resentment against the baby, and if OP leaves he is a bad father etc ect, really think it through.

Oh I get that but it could also be a situation where neither of them want the baby (or where both of them want the baby, but that's unlikely judging by this fml)

thrAsHeRr9081 16

143- Plan B is NOT an abortion pill.

frizz101 22

Did I say it was? No, the fact is by the time a woman knows she is pregnant the plan b pull is already ineffective. You also apparently can't read the comments because I never was referring to the plan b pill at all.

I don't see how this is a **** your life... more like **** hers if anyones.

kenzierai 8

Maybe she just wanted a baby? Or it slipped her mind. Either way I don't think people need to be rude enough to call her a dumb ass. I'm sure you all forgot common sense stuff all the time.

I think it's more likely that it slipped her mind. If she's been on birth control for quite a while, it's likely something she just does automatically every day. I'm basing that on my experience, I've taken pills twice a day for years and I really don't think about it anymore.

I've always asked doctors and pharmacists if antibiotics will interfere with my pills. It seems like a lot don't cause any issues like previously thought. It sucks that your girlfriend's birth control failed, but you two need to make a plan on how you're going to handle it. Good luck.

The vast majority of antibiotics do not affect the efficacy of birth control. Just because a lot of people haven't received and/or accepted this information does not make it less true. :) it IS true that birth control itself is not 100% effective. It's even less so with human error. Hooray for peace of mind :/

Watch the child's name be relevant to the name of the anti biotic taken by op's gf

HisHarleyQuinn 14

What? Like Amoxicillin, Moxie for short?