By AtLeastWeCan'tHaveKids - 02/10/2017 23:45

Today, my girlfriend of 8 years and I received our results from a DNA test. We're both very interested in history and ancestry, and wanted to see where in the world we both originated. It turns out we have the same father. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 353
You deserved it 323

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would do a second test. Maybe some cross contamination of your samples happened.

First I would check pretty carefully to see if the information is accurate before making any decisions. Second, if it is true I would not freak out about the situation. The chances of there being an actual issue in possible children from both having the same father (if it’s true) are generally way overstated. Get expert advice if it’s actually true - not from family and friends.

Comments

Aaaaahh carpet munchers. Can I watch? And it's really kinky since you are half sisters.

8 years and you hadn't found out until now?! Have you never invited each other to dinner with the family?!

While most comments are about whether it is safe to have children together or not, it is not a concern since OP is a female and so is her partner. I cannot believe some people voted YDI because what are the chances of dating someone who turns out to be a sibling? The chances are rare, and I feel bad for both the OP and her partner.

BS, your DNA would be tested for signs of origin, it would be tested to see if it matched anyone else's DNA at all. If you're going to come up with a story at least try one that can pass scrutiny.

* check that it wouldn't be tested to see if it matched anyone else's DNA at all. Guessing there is no way to edit these that I can see.