By AtLeastWeCan'tHaveKids - 02/10/2017 23:45

Today, my girlfriend of 8 years and I received our results from a DNA test. We're both very interested in history and ancestry, and wanted to see where in the world we both originated. It turns out we have the same father. FML
I agree, your life sucks 6 353
You deserved it 323

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would do a second test. Maybe some cross contamination of your samples happened.

First I would check pretty carefully to see if the information is accurate before making any decisions. Second, if it is true I would not freak out about the situation. The chances of there being an actual issue in possible children from both having the same father (if it’s true) are generally way overstated. Get expert advice if it’s actually true - not from family and friends.

Comments

IAmClay 24

What’ll you do with this info, OP?

ezrajab 22

That’s a whole new level of effed uo

Erhamagerd better check to see what the government says about this situation, instead of the most important thing- how YOU (and your s/o) feel. What is it about fml that makes so many stupid little commie bitches make a comment??

Yes, because not wanting OP to face fines that can be up to $100000, face prison time, possibly be put on the sex offender registry, or have their life completely ruined on a social level because someone finds out and reports them makes people "commies." This isn't the Cold War era, maybe you should catch up with the rest of the world, as well as relearn the meaning of "commie" because it doesn't mean what you think it does.

malsomethingorrather 5

My god that would suck. I would not tell anyone. Ever. Just chalk it up to one of those shitty things in life that don't go the way they should and make the best of a bad situation. If you want to get married then go ahead. Maybe first go to a few couples therapy sessions to get your bearing (and have someone to vent to). But seriously keep it on the DL!

Lobby_Bee 17

Your father has a lot of explaining to do.

Sid you use ancestry.com's DNA test because that one is a joke it listed me as 38% Scandinavian, 32% German, 28% Irish, 2% Spanish, and 2% Asian that adds up to 102% plus I found out that if they can't find a match (because did you notice no Native American, I'm part Blackfoot, my grandfather was half Blackfoot) then they go by your last name.

PenguinPal3017 19

It's likely due to rounding. I used it and it was very accurate. I would trust the results.

If your grandfather is half Native American and you aren't an eighth Native American, there's a reason more likely than unreliable genetic testing.

Bullshit, the ancestry DNA doesn’t work like a paternity test it’s a whole different thing

... you... you do realize how ancestry works, right?

I'd like to hear the story of how neither of you have spoken to any relatives that could have told you this sooner. 8 days I could understand, and I could kind of forgive 8 months, depending on how far away you live from the rest of your family, but 8 years? Maybe it's lucky you're both girls. Yikes.

PenguinPal3017 19

Likely at least one of them either didn't know who their father was, or believed someone else to be their father.

so in 8 years you two have Never discussed your father's?

PenguinPal3017 19

Not everyone knows who their father is. Maybe her mom cheated. Maybe it was a one night stand.