By Winx - 16/03/2012 07:13 - United States

Today, my dad informed me that my prom dress makes me look chubby from the side, gives me "back fat", and that I wouldn't want to go to prom looking like that. I tried to ignore his hurtful comments and tell myself I was beautiful. Then the clasp broke. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 321
You deserved it 11 699

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you should listen to your father's advice for a change instead of categorically ignoring him just because it makes you feel better. He could've just said "DAAAAAMN!" But it sounds more like he was trying to be helpful rather than hurtful.

Idonebeenhad 17

Girl: Does this dress make me look fat? Guy: Uhh no it's fine. Girl: STOP LYING TO ME Guy: Okay, a little Girl: WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT, OH MY GOD I'M NEVER GONNA TALK TO YOU AGAIN

Comments

Dad's are supposed to be honest, but supportive, not hurtful. So he wouldn't be doing you any favors by saying, "Oh, you're beautiful dear." and letting you go to the prom. Imagine the embarrassment there when the clasp broke, so he did kind of spare you that fate. It could have been better put, as in, "The dress is beautiful dear, but maybe a bit too tight, you might want to re-think the size." Same message, just a little more gentle than the punch to the face your dad served up. Take the good from the bad, your dad was looking out for you, in his own twisted sort of way.

I mean. If the dress gave her back fat and he told her so, I don't think that's too rough. She should have noticed the back fat when her dad pointed it out and stopped wearing the dress.

GoW_Chick 14

Hey you're from Alaska so you must be an Eskimo and they are usually chubby, and a lot of guys like chubby girls, it's just more of you too love!

I'm from Canada so I'm an eskimo too??

Actually GoW, most Alaskan Natives consider being called an Eskimo an insult. My hubby is Native American and Alaskan Native; only one person ever called him an Eskimo,it ended badly.

Strafeh 9

Off a total side note to your comment. Very nice picture. Do you MC PVP?

Ignore the size number next time and buy what fits. But since daddy could have been a bit more tactful have him pay for the new dress.

Rei_Ayanami 18

Chances are he paid for that one. Not necessarily, but probably.

Even if your father has a genuine concern about your weight (which may or may not be legitimate; obviously no one here knows what OP weighs or how she is built), there are less hurtful ways that he could have said it. That being said, even a person who is a perfectly healthy weight will not look good in clothing that's too small. (It doesn't help that the sizing of most women's clothing is pretty arbitrary and varies by manufacturer.) Perhaps he just meant that the dress was too small? Granted, there were still much less offensive ways for him to have conveyed this.

YahImThatGuy 0

You kinda have to be at least a certain level of fat to achieve "back fat" regardless of the clothing. Dad was likely telling the truth.

Next time by the size that fits perfectly, maybe your dad wasn't trying to hurt you on purpose, but was trying to give you some fatherly advice.

texas_redneck88 10

At least he was honest? It doesn't do to lie to yourself, ya know.

When guys comment on clothes, I find it's usually true because usually, they don't care. Especially if it's from your dad and he's usually not a prick, it usually is coming from a loving place,..that, and he probably pre-weakened your clasp.

Wow, you said "usually" a lot. Do you usually say that or am I wrong like I usually am? I usually don't comment like this, because I'm usually too lazy for my usual sarcasm. Usually...

Hahaha I didn't even realize that. I was trying to prevent an absolute, this-applies-to-everything statement.

Who cares what ppl think. Everyone is beautiful no matter what. So your clasp broke. Fix it.

No, the truth of the matter is not everyone looks like a god or goddess. Some people frighten small children, some don't.

No. Fat people are ugly, and it pisses me off how they try to tell each other that they're beautiful as though they're looking for an excuse not to do anything about it. Let me also just say that people that are ridiculously skinny that their bones are showing, cause they're trying to look like super models, is also ugly. I don't understand why supermodels are that thin anyway. What a turn off.