By hypercrite dad - 19/09/2014 18:34 - United Kingdom

Today, my dad found out I recently tried weed. He called me a useless waste of air and grounded me for the rest of the year. Then he went outside and smoked his third cigarette of the morning. FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 127
You deserved it 15 536

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Razi_tail 25

It sounds like your dad is a real gem to be around. Sorry you have to deal with such critics when he isn't much better. :/

Now that's a hypocrite if I have ever seen one cigarettes do worse damage.

Comments

Isee two sides. Yes your dad is being a major hypocrite, but maybe he just doesn't want you to continue on with drugs or start smoking cigrates like him. Weed is the biggest gateway drug, and hearing that their child has tried that could scare him. He may be worried about your future. But. I'm not saying that you are going to become a drug addict, because everyone reacts differently and some people only ever do weed.But you should try and look at it from his prospective too.

I get what you're saying and it's true, weed can be a gateway drug for many, that's how it started for my cousins, who then both moved on to heroin and cocaine. Both are now in prison for it. I have tried it a couple of times but never on a regular basis because I know I have an addictive personality. Better to avoid it than to have it take over my life.

#17 Sorry, but there's no scientific evidence anywhere to support weed being a gateway drug. Out of all illegal drugs it IS the one most people have tried at least once, but it is as addictive as alcohol is (if not less) and in the vast majority of cases, people try it once and never again in their lives (unlike alcohol/cigarettes, where people tend to go back to it or even stay on it for life). Every drug has positives and negatives, even caffeine, but if I had to choose I would definitely prefer my kid be smoking weed over cigarettes (I'd personally prefer them smoke neither). Looking at worst-case scenarios of both drugs, I'd rather my kid be on the wrong side of the law (with something like weed, I wouldn't expect much worse than a nasty fine unless you're distributing it) than wind up in hospital with stage 4 cancer sometime down the road.

Accually tobacco is the biggest gateway drug. Tobacco smokers are 4x as likely to try hard drugs as compared to pot smokers

"Your pops caught you smoking and he said, "No way!" That hypocrite smokes two packs a day" ["You gotta fight for your right to party!!!!!!!"]

Weed is nothing compared to cigarettes or even alcohol. A ton of people I know smoke weed to focus, since it makes them more focused.

So are you saying weed is good or that alcohol and cigarettes are bad? Downing one does not justify the other.. Also if you need weed to focus you might want to consult a doctor that sounds like an issue

Stupid argument, people take caffeine as well to increase focus they don't NEED it, it just helps. Never seen a good argument against weed on this site, just a bunch of sheltered, "don't do it cause its illegal!" tards. And no, I don't smoke and I don't plan on it.

I have ADHD and smoke so I can learn shit at college :) it's the only way I've been passing the last 4 years

I don't want to sound like he's a bad father, but maybe he doesn't want you to end up like him. Smoking in general.

You have to take into account that weed is still illegal in the majority if the U.S. (It's just an assumption that you are from the U.S.) while I agree that cigarettes are worse, your dad might not want to pay the ticket or bail you out if you get caught. Just sayin

That's my favorite past time! Smoking a joint and reading FML's!

tazmanmike2013 17

I'm gonna say the obvious, but it's gonna get down voted based off of what I've been reading here in the comments. Your dad is an adult and can make adult decisions, you are his child, I'm guessing by the way you wrote this posting that you are not an adult. I will drink a beer after work but if I saw my 17yr old son drinking one I'd stop him. This doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes me an adult who's allowed to do adult things. The argument that weed is safer than cigarettes is misleading. I can smoke a cigarette and operate machinery, drive a car, and react quickly to emergencies. If I'm smoking dope, I cannot do any of these things. Also, the risk of cancer from smoking comes from the release of carcinogens when the tobacco is burned. If you're smoking weed, you're opening up yourself to the same risks. The human body isn't supposed to directly inhale smoke, of any kind, no smoke in any form is healthy for you. I'm not against legalization of weed, I support it, but when you compare dope to tobacco, you're not making a fair comparison. There is also a big difference between an adult smoking dope and a minor doing it. As a final note, when you have kids I wish you the best of luck and hope you never have to pull a "do as I say, not as I do", but chance are you will. As parents we want our kids to do better than us and it's our job to lead them on the right path. None of us are perfect.

then smoking from a bong or Pipe, wouldn't be directly? I don't see how smoking weed opens you up to the same risks as cigarettes since they put so many chemicals in with the tobacco and it's harder to do that with weed...

tazmanmike2013 17

Weed that's grown today isn't the same as weed that was grown back in the 60s or 70s. You also have to consider that with more states legalizing it then it's becoming big business and it's turning into a farm raised product. Chemicals are used in the growing process as fertilizer and for bug control. I'm sure someone will come up with an "organic" weed that limits the use of chemicals but they are there. Some people do add chemicals to it to enhance the high also. I'm not saying this to discredit dope, I believe it should be legal, but, in my opinion, the true hypocrisy is constantly comparing dope to tobacco and making tobacco out to be an evil and weed to be a saint. That is simply not true, both have legitimate risks associated with their use. As I stated in my earlier posting, it is an adult drug that needs to be used only by responsible adults.

No reason to down vote you hit the nail right on the head

Seriously? 1 there is no scientific evidence that dope causes cancer, and there have been studies done, infact the purified form of the active ingredient is being tested as cancer treatment drug. 2 it's a plant not a chemical we may be able to change it properties a bit but it not like 70s dope was that much different, might have been less potient but it was no safer. 3 cigarettes might not impure your reaction times but alcohol sure does and we've found ways of using that safely. 4 you would seriously stop a 17 year old from have ONE beer?

tazmanmike2013 17

Yes I would seriously stop a child of mine from drinking a beer and if you wouldn't then that's your choice. Maybe that's part of what's wrong with the world today is that too many parents do not put limitations on their children. The topic wasn't about alcohol, it was about dope vs tobacco. Everyone knows that alcohol is worse than dope as far as the effects I has on people when abused. As far as the "plant" issue you bring up, tobacco is a plant too. Back when the Indians used it and traded with it, it wasn't so bad. However, after years of mass production to meet the needs of the consumer, the manufacturing process of the plant changed. As it will, and has in the past several decades, with dope. Finally, I don't know where you get that marijuana is a "treatment" for cancer. It is not. It has been found to assist with pain and to help give people on chemotherapy an appetite but it is not a treatment. It does have some analgesic effects, which is something I hope we explore more. But as far as a "treatment", no, you're way wrong there. The true value in cannabis isn't in the smoking of it or it's medicinal uses, it's in the widespread use of the hemp plant. Unfortunately, so many people are caught up in wanting to defend marijuana because they want to smoke and get high. Everything else becomes evil and dope becomes this saint.

It certainly is a chemical. Everything is made of chemicals. I am for legalization but some of these arguments really need some work. As Tazmanmike pointed out, tobacco is also a plant. Cyanide is also a naturally occurring compound found in many plants. The fact that it is a plant means almost nothing in regard to safety.

This right here is perfect. I personally know so many people that smoke dope every single day but swear up and down that it hasn't effected their memory, thinking, reaction time or motor skills at all even though they've been smoking it for years. You try to tell them it's bad for their lungs and they immediately launch into "it's a healing herb" mode and basically think it's this magical healing plant that doesn't hurt you at all, isn't the least bit bad for you. It is absolutely maddening.

They have been testing high purity THC injections as a tumor treatment look it up. Because THC has tumor reducing qualities. I'm not saying that the same as smoking it certainly isn't but as far as I'm aware nicotine isn't used to treat anything. And where I'm from a 17year old could be just days from being legal drinking age and I'd rather my children learned to handle there drinking in front of me rather then at some strangers house.

cigarettes are legal that's why everyone has no problem with them. my parents some cigarettes and I can't smoke weed because its illegal. my parents act like I'm snorting cocaine and injecting meth&heroine.

Damn that sucks just wait til your 18 it always sucks when other people are uneducated about cannabis. It has never harmed anyone and cigarettes are disgusting.

Homegrown doesn't hurt people, but if you buy it or a friend bought it, you never know when some asshole laces their stuff