By arthise - 09/10/2013 07:03 - United States - Evansville

Today, my boyfriend won a diamond engagement ring through a citywide competition. Instead of proposing to me, he's selling it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 50 027
You deserved it 17 182

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The_Big_Boss 20

He is not obligated to propose just because he won a ring. Sorry

Comments

cheshirecat13242 32

Would you rather force his hand, OP? Sounds like a recipe for divorce..

MrsJTMorris 4

There could be many factors here. He could not be ready. He might want to buy an engagement ring that is "you" not just one he won. If he wants to marry you he'll propose. Marriage is a two person decision you don't get engaged just because you want it.

XTheDesertSongX 17

To be honest, it's probably good that he's doing that. That way, when he's ready, he can get one that's personalized for you that he put thought into creating and it wont just be some prize he won in a contest.

He isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch.

perhaps he wants to get you a ring that he chooses and hold more value to him, or he might not be ready to propose yet. Maybe he wonders if you'd think he's being cheap by giving a ring that he won to you. Expecting it as a gift is kind of selfish on your part, either way.

Tresemmegan 3

Oh no, poor you, your *boyfriend* would rather get some probably much-needed money in a time of economic hardship out of a ring he's not ready to use yet. You know, some people don't have boyfriends period. There are worse things

TrinityNevada 11

Maybe he doesn't want to marry yet. Maybe he doesn't want to marry at all. Maybe he doesn't want to marry you. The only way to know is to ask. Sounds like you two need a sit-down to find out where your feelings are and where you see yourself in 6 months, a year, five years, whatever. Give him time to think about it instead of just accepting whatever answer he blurts out. really think about what YOU want rather than just blurting out, "I want to get married". Think of why you want that. (Hopefully, your answers are about cooperting with each other on day-to-day things and important decisions). i say all that because many people marry for an ideal, rather than because they want to share their l ife. If he freaks out and distances himself and you want to get married, it probably means he's not feeling it and a break-up is in order. I'm sorry. Good luck

This commenters here piss me off saying just because he won a ring he doesn't have to propose. That's true but why the hell did he enter the contest and tell his girlfriend about it?There were other people trying to win that ring to actually propose and he just enters so he can sell it. Pfft.

A number of reasons: 1: It could have been one of MANY prizes and he wanted something else 2: He could be a Money Monday follower where one of the MANY methods to generate income is to enter contests for free stuff to sell later 3: Maybe he didn't enter himself, but one of his friends did in order to rib him about it later (common among younger guys - seen this happen where guys enter other guys to win makeovers, dresses, Victoria's secret lingerie, etc.) So, just because he won it, that does NOT mean he has to propose. And many people DO enter contests to sell their winnings. I do the same often myself. Like the iPhone 5s I got today - I WON it, have no need for it. It's on eBay right now. The winnings? Money in my pocket with little work on my part. It's lucrative.

It's funny how #60 thinks she knows it all while she wasn't even there.

#71: I agree with you. Winning a prize does not mean you owe your partner any of the winnings. I was with a guy a few years ago. We were casually dating, didn't live together, we didn't share expenses, or anything like that. While he was on a business trip, I entered a contest and won a pair of motorcycles. I sold them both for about $60,000, bought a cheaper motorcycle, paid off school loans and rent. My boyfriend at the time had called to beg me to keep them. I told him no, I needed the money. When he came back from his business trip he expected me to have them and got pissed off when I had a cheap bike in the driveway of my home. It ended up ending our relationship because 1) he had several tickets for speeding and had wrecked his old bike. 2) He called me a monster and demanded I give him the bike on principle. 3) It showed me his true colors.

rlTlk 13

#60 took the words right out if my mouth. You can't enter a competition specifically to win an engagement ring and not expect your partner to think you we're going to propose. If he wasn't planning on proposing when he entered the contest he should have never let her know about it, or explained himself fully that it was just for a prize. Though that'd be a douche thing to say too. "Hey babe I'm entering this contest to win and engagement ring but don't let that put any ideas in your head like I want to marry you" lol all bad but at least it would be honest. Could say not yet anyways. Just should have never put himself in that situation or her through that pain of Expectation.

Would you really be happy with that proposal?? I won a competition and we've already got the ring.... so I guess we should get married now? I'd much rather he sold it and proposed in his own way, when he was ready, with a ring he had chosen for me/had sentimental value and when I didn't know it was coming. He probably told you he entered the competition in case he won so you didn't find out elsewhere and get your hopes up!

rlTlk 13

#62 he entered a competition to win an engagement ring.... Meaning he was trying to get an engagement ring. It wouldn't be like "ope man I just randomly have this ring now lets get married." He worked to get it.. If he had explained to her it was not to propose with there wouldn't be a problem. But the sounds of it is that he didn't. I agree tho a personalized ring would be much more sentimental but going for the ring still implies he was planning on proposing.