By Anonymous - 04/07/2014 22:02 - United Kingdom - Sherborne

Today, my 11-year-old son and I took an IQ test for a laugh. To be honest, I've often suspected that I may have some form of mental retardation, but I didn't expect to get a score of 79, while he got one of 114. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 567
You deserved it 7 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well you should be proud that you have a smart child.

Comments

Be glad. Being smarter than average is nothing but a burden IMO. I'm at 125 so nit genius levels but still...

tobyisgerman97 1

that's impossible, you need 80 to be able to talk and 60 to be able to walk, theres something not right. its normal to have 120 to 140

Is it just me or the people talking about there IQ are rather depressing for the OP?

Kind of a dumb question, but don't they have different tests for different age groups? If they do, it would make a lot of sense. Your child is still in school (presumably), as his skills would be pretty fresh, while you (presumably) are not in school, so it's not as fresh? Or maybe you just let your guard down, because you thought being compared to your 11 year old wouldn't really phase you. Either way, you have a very smart child :)

winkydink13 6

Are people aware that 112 is roughly the average? 140+ is considered intelligent, 160+ is genius level, (Albert Einstein for example allegedly had an IQ of 160)

I signed up just for this comment: for all the folks disputing that 114 is not above average, you are wrong. IQ tests are statiscally designed such that 100 is the average. This is done by testing the population first and then retrofitting the results into a normal distribution with an average of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. This means that even if everyone "doubled their smarts" between today and tomorrow, the average IQ score would still be 100 (in fact, by construction everyone's IQ score would stay the same even though they would be twice as smart). By statistical construction, an IQ of 114 means the kid is in the top 18% (as regards IQ test scores).

Wait is 114 a good score my iq is. 127 and dont feel super smart

No, 127 is within normal range. But 114 is very good for an 11 year old. To OP: 79 is also within normal range, so you've got nothing to worry about :) . Between 50 and 70 is concidered light mental disability.