By Anonymous - 04/07/2014 22:02 - United Kingdom - Sherborne

Today, my 11-year-old son and I took an IQ test for a laugh. To be honest, I've often suspected that I may have some form of mental retardation, but I didn't expect to get a score of 79, while he got one of 114. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 567
You deserved it 7 535

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well you should be proud that you have a smart child.

Comments

For future reference, genius is 160 and up.

Be proud! You have a genius for a son!

Why is everyone saying his son is so smart? An IQ of 114 is considered average with an IQ of 116+ considered above average. His son tested normal/about the same as most people and hence is not overly 'smart', just average.

nitrog100 21

He's 0.93 SD above average, and you're 1.4 below. That's nothing to be ashamed of. You're not even close to being an outlier on a standard bell curve.

Op don't feel bad if it was online chances are it's bs. Everyone has their stupid days and their smart days as well. Sleep right, eat right and keep active you will find you also feel more smart and absorb information

If the test was standardized, 100 would be average and 15 above that (115) would be above average 30 above (130) being "gifted" meaning it's likely your son is above average, congrats! That's something to be proud of. Same goes in reverse, 15 below (85) being a bit below average and 30 below (70 and lower) being likely some form of retardation. Your score would land in the below average range but Not quite in the range of a learning/mental disability. HOWEVER!! If you did it just for laughs I'm guessing it was an online IQ test. Those aren't very accurate or reliable and are truly just for kicks. If you're really concerned contact a real in person testing facility or a clinical psychologist to be accurately tested. Either way, it seems like you have a smart son and at the very least a decent relationship with him. If anything, facilitate that relationship and his learning; support him in his educational goals and he'll go far:)

No no no. He's smarter but you're wiser. He can learn more than you, but you know more than him.

flou22 1

IQ tests are based on age. If it didn't ask you how old you are, then you didn't get an accurate calculation. To get a more accurate number, try a test that asks your age next time. If it did ask your age, then just slow down and actually think about the questions before answering. Your kid is smart, though. Be proud.

You've raised a smart son. If you keep it up he could do great things in the world.

Ouch. But, you know, IQ tests measure effort too, OP. But it's still low....