By freakingout - 04/09/2012 21:55 - United States - Roslyn

Today, it was my first day back at school. My social anxiety is so bad that I couldn't even raise my hand to use the bathroom because I didn't want people to look at me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 996
You deserved it 4 616

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It will be worse if they look at you after you've peed yourself.

SHAMUS_the_WITTY 18

Show up fashionably late, wearing nothing but a G string and a burger king crown. You'll get over your social anxiety pretty quickly. And a week out of school from the suspension.

Comments

It may feel like you are completely alone but your not its more common than people think. First I would talk to your parents sometimes they can help. Or if you trust a teacher enough ask them. I know it is scary to seek help but you need to find someone you feel comfortable with to talk about it. If you have a really close friend that is in your classes tell them about your problem. It will be easier to deal with the less isolated you feel. Trust me I had the same problem in highschool and I never dealt with it. I almost didn't graduate because of it. It will get better as long as you share your feelings with someone you trust. Good luck

I Got anxiety too, music helps me, try music =)

naughtylez82 4

I to suffer from social anxiety op. so I feel your pain. Therapy is a good place to start and I beg you to get help before it gets worse. I have a hard time taking my garbage out and it's only across the parking lot.

afairshake 8

If you aren't seeing a doctor for that I would sounds like a pretty bad case. Therapy works wonders and medication can too when needed. I have a generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD so I kind of understand what you're going through. You have to take charge and get the help half the battle is admitting there's a problem. Hope you can get the help you need to avoid more situations like that. Good luck.

Your first day of school? You type well for a three year old

afairshake 8

Wow I'm pretty sure they meant first day back of the school year smart a** and if you'd gotten past the 1st grade yourself you'd know that children are normally 5-6 when first starting school unless you're counting Pre school. They're having a hard enough time with a really common problem why be mean?

firstly, that was a joke. I'm surprised it was taken seriously. Secondly most kids, at least in my country, start school around 3. in new York, I don't know

Link5794 18

In the US, most people start school when they're five. Also, this FML could have ended after the first sentence.

omgitsmeg 8

i agree it is hard enough living with social anxiety without a**holes making it worse!!

poor_gurll1198 17

Obviously it was a joke but it was kind of a shitty joke.

Sadly I know that feeling all too well, OP. But as several people have mentioned it isn't that rare, you're probably not the only one in your school that feels like this. Some tips is listening to music while in a stressing situation, focus on the lyrics/beats of the song and shut out everything else. But the worst you can do is ignoring the problem, it will get worse if you don't force yourself, go to a therapist and maybe start on some SSRI medication. I got to a point where I was too scared to walk out of my house for a month, but therapy and medication helped me a lot, so there is hope!

How old are you? I think that I was in the 4th grade that I just couldn't ask my teacher to let me use the bathroom. I did poop in my pants and had to walk all the way home and told my mother. She had to clean me up.

They help with the things you put in your own head. A good therapist can really change your life.

Good lord you are a kid. Grow up! Talk about first world problems.

daltonromanowski 11

Social anxiety disorder is a mental illness. Do you treat all illnesses as a matter of just having to "grow up" or what? "Did you hear Billy had a 'stroke' last week? Some people will do anything to get out of work."

A bad therapist can **** things up even more though. Not that I've had experience or anything but I could understand why people have doubts about them.