By Foosa801 - 25/12/2016 23:08 - United States - Los Angeles

Today, I woke up my friend and had him take me to the ER. I had trouble breathing and my chest hurt, so the doctor put me on an EKG and took X-rays. I had strained my chest lifting weights at the gym earlier that day and pulled a muscle, and now thanks to my massive anxiety I have a $700 hospital bill. FML
I agree, your life sucks 7 330
You deserved it 1 955

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Talis99 26

Honestly, though, you'd think you'd learn. I appreciate you're a caring parent, but don't be overprotective.

As terrible as that is to pay, better safe than sorry

Comments

bloodyfreak_fml 4

Always ask if they have a financial assistance plan, most medical practices have some sort of discounting option.

ohsnapword 21

It's better that you went to the hospital to find out you pulled a muscle than to not go and have the coroner find out you had a heart attack.

I've been a nurse for 15 years and see this all the time. Sometimes it's a pulled muscle, other times indigestion. Then you see the ones who knew better and still made the trip to the hospital, only this time in a bag. You did exactly the right thing. Sucks that it cost $700, but you have peace of mind.

You made the right choice OP. Better to have a false alarm than a cardiovascular problem. Imagine how high THAT bill would've been.

If you were having trouble breathing and your chest hurt, you did the right thing going to he E.R. I know the bill sucks but it COULD have been something more serious.

You sound like my dad. He gets some pain in the legs after standing too long (and ignoring my pleasure to rest his old legs which have vericose veins), goes to the hospital and ends up getting a battery of tests done (everyone wants to be safe/make a buck) and when all tests come back OK he fusses over the medical bills that his insurance pays and by that time his legs are all fine. Sometimes I think he would be happy if the tests showed some abnormality. Last time one of his blood reports said positive for something and he was fretting over it. It was Rh factor. His blood is Rh +ve. I had to explain what it meant to him before he could stop worrying. I know $700 is not a small amount, but at least you didn't have anything worse. Happy New Year mate.

I've done the same. Freaked out about chest pain, went to the ER, was told it was anxiety (and argued against it because I have anxiety issues and my anxiety doesn't work that way). Only to later remember I'd been lifting weights - something I don't normally do. Ugh. FYI OP.

move up here to Canada. our hospitals dont gouge our citizens of their money up here. sucks about the bill tho.

Any other year, ANY OTHER YEAR, I would have laughed at you. But this year? This "YEAR WHICH SHALL NOT BE NAMED?" Dude, I don't blame you for being a tad bit paranoid. FYL, mate.