By library book - 10/07/2014 05:27 - United States - Grand Prairie

Today, I went to the public library for the first time ever. The librarian told me I couldn't get a library card because I had an outstanding balance of $130.00 from 1995. I was born in 1991. FML
I agree, your life sucks 52 126
You deserved it 4 480

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Did you forget to return "Everybody Poops?"

Kudos to you, I couldn't even shit properly at that age and you were a hardcore book nerd!

Comments

Scynistr 20

I was named after my father.. It could potentially be a case of mistaken identity?

A four year old can have a library card. It's your parents' fault.

In my area...they now arrest people who don't pay library fines for a long time. Well not arrest, but get in trouble with the police.

I hope you showed her your drivers license or ID with your actual birthdate to prove her wrong.

Once they didn't let me get a library card because my mum, who didn't have custody of me, had ten books overdue for about two or three years… We don't even have the same name. I don't know how they knew I was her daughter, but I had to force my dad to get one.

that's past the point they can bill you for it. after 5 years you can ask to have the fine removed as long as the item had been returned

reminds me of when i was in second grade and tried to check out a book but was told i couldn't because i already had one out. i couldn't check out a book the rest of the year (it was the start of the school year when they told me this) and about a month before school was out for the summer, the librarian was like, "oops, turns out you never had that book, we made a mistake." i was so mad about that.

I'm surprised its only $130. You'd expect after 19 years for the price to be much higher than that. Or is my library just stealing my money by charging $.25 each day its late?